Academic Council Committee on Examinations
The Academic Council Committee on Examinations (ACCE) supports the Academic Council in all assessment related matters. The ACCE authorises the award of University degrees and other awards, approves Internal Examiners and nominates External Examiners to the National University of Ireland (NUI), oversees assessment practices across the University and act as the University's examination board dealing with the award of Research Degrees.
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Ms Fiona Falvey, Assessment, UCD Registry
Ms Fiona French, Assessment, UCD Registry
The ACCE shall, subject to review by the Academic Council, discharge the following major functions:
1. Authorise the award of University degrees and other awards, approve Internal Examiners, and nominate External Examiners (Subject and Special) to the NUI.
2. Oversee assessment practices across the University. This includes the following duties:
- Act on behalf of the University, as the final decision-making authority on assessment- related matters with oversight of assessment strategies, grading practices and grading patterns across the University. ACCE will ensure that Schools or Programmes act in conformity with university policy and will give direction as appropriate.
- Consider reports from the Director of Assessment in relation to the grade approvals process and make recommendations or give directions to Schools and Programme Examination Boards as appropriate.
- The ACCE shall consider all Post-Examination Board changes to grades that are to the detriment of a student and either approve or reject such changes.
- Assume responsibility for the university’s Examination Regulations, including the undertaking of periodic reviews to ensure they are fit-for-purpose, and proposing amendments to AC in this regard as required.
3. Act as the University’s examination board dealing with the award of Research Degrees. Such duties shall include:
- Act, on behalf of the University, as an Examination Board for all doctoral and research degrees (PhDs, Professional Doctorates, Research Masters and MDs).
- Award, on behalf of the University, all research degrees.
- Award on behalf of the University, all posthumous awards/aegrotat degrees and to report these decisions to Academic Council.
- Determine cases where there is disagreement among examiners in relation to the award of a research degree.
- Deal with any other examination/assessment related matters delegated by the Academic Council.
4. The ACCE shall exercise some or all of the functions described above in respect of any Recognised College as specified by Academic Council.
ACCE Membership 2019-20 Academic Session
Chair (appointed by President)
Prof. Alan Baird
Deputy President, VP for Academic Affairs & Registrar
Prof. Mark Rogers
Graduate School Directors elected by Graduate School Directors
Dr Neal Murphy
Prof. Gerardine Doyle
Programme Deans/Associate Deans elected by the Programme Deans
Assoc. Prof. Paul Ward
Dean of Graduate Studies
Prof. Barbara Dooley
Heads of School elected by the Heads of School
Prof. Graeme Warren
Assoc. Prof. Michael Casey
Members of Academic Council elected by AC
Prof. Francis Butler
Assoc. Prof. Eleni Mangina
Assoc. Prof. Sue Rackard
Director of Assessment
Students’ Union President
Students’ Union Graduate Officer
ACCE Meeting Schedule 2020/21
|Thursday 3 September 2020||Thursday 17 September 2020;11am
|Thursday 1 October 2020||Thursday 15 October 2020; 11am
|Thursday 5 November 2020*||Thursday 19 November 2020; 11am
|Thursday 3 December 2020||Thursday 17 December 2020; 11am
|Thursday 14 January 2021||Thursday 28 January 2021; 11am
|Thursday 11 February 2021||
Thursday 25 February 2021; 11am
|Thursday 11 March 2021||
Thursday 25 March 2021; 11am
|Thursday 8 April 2021||Thursday 22 April 2021; 11am
|Thursday 6 May 2021**||Thursday 20 May 2021; 11am
|Thursday 10 June 2021***||Thursday 24 June 2021; 11am
*Thursday 5 November 2020 - Last ACCE Deadline for December conferring
**Thursday 6 May 2021 - Last ACCE Deadline for June conferring
***Thursday 10 June 2021 - Last ACCE Deadline for September conferring