Academic Council Committee on Examinations
The Academic Council Committee on Examinations (ACCE) supports the Academic Council in all assessment related matters. The ACCE authorises the award of University degrees and other awards, approves Internal Examiners and nominates External Examiners to the National University of Ireland (NUI), oversees assessment practices across the University and act as the University's examination board dealing with the award of Research Degrees.
Show/hide content Open Close All
Ms Fiona Falvey, Assessment, UCD Registry
Mr Robert Finlay, Assessment, UCD Registry
The ACCE shall, subject to review by the Academic Council, discharge the following major functions:
1. Authorise the award of University degrees and other awards, approve Internal Examiners, and nominate External Examiners (Subject and Special) to the NUI.
2. Oversee assessment practices across the University. This includes the following duties:
- Act on behalf of the University, as the final decision-making authority on assessment- related matters with oversight of assessment strategies, grading practices and grading patterns across the University. ACCE will ensure that Schools or Programmes act in conformity with university policy and will give direction as appropriate.
- Consider reports from the Director of Assessment in relation to the grade approvals process and make recommendations or give directions to Schools and Programme Examination Boards as appropriate.
- The ACCE shall consider all Post-Examination Board changes to grades that are to the detriment of a student and either approve or reject such changes.
- Assume responsibility for the university’s Examination Regulations, including the undertaking of periodic reviews to ensure they are fit-for-purpose, and proposing amendments to AC in this regard as required.
3. Act as the University’s examination board dealing with the award of Research Degrees. Such duties shall include:
- Act, on behalf of the University, as an Examination Board for all doctoral and research degrees (PhDs, Professional Doctorates, Research Masters and MDs).
- Award, on behalf of the University, all research degrees.
- Award on behalf of the University, all posthumous awards/aegrotat degrees and to report these decisions to Academic Council.
- Determine cases where there is disagreement among examiners in relation to the award of a research degree.
- Deal with any other examination/assessment related matters delegated by the Academic Council.
4. The ACCE shall exercise some or all of the functions described above in respect of any Recognised College as specified by Academic Council.
ACCE Membership 2022 - 2023
Chair (appointed by President)
Prof. Peter Duffy
Acting Registrar, Deputy President
Prof. Barbara Dooley
Dean of Graudate Studies
Prof. Paul McCabe
Heads of Graduate Studies from Schools nominated by the Graduate Research Board
Assoc. Prof. Paul Curran
Assoc. Prof. Michael Lennon
Programme Deans/Associate Deans elected by the Programme Deans
Dr Elaine Wilson
Assoc. Prof. Lucy Collins
Heads of School elected by the Heads of School
Prof. Suzanne Guerin
Members of Academic Council elected by AC
Assoc. Prof. Maria Meehan
Prof. Martin Grunewald
Director of Assessment
Students’ Union President
Students’ Union Graduate Officer
ACCE Meeting Schedule 2022/2023
|Thursday 1 September 2022||Friday 16 September 2022;11am
|Thursday 6 October 2022||Friday 21 October 2022; 11am
|Thursday 3 November 2022**||Friday 18 November 2022; 11am
|Thursday 1 December 2022||Friday 16 December 2022; 11am
|Thursday 12 January 2023||Friday 27 January 2023; 11am
|Thursday 9 February 2023||
Friday 24 February 2023; 11am
|Thursday 9 March 2023||
Friday 24 March 2023; 11am
|Thursday 6 April 2023||Friday 21 April 2023; 11am
|Thursday 4 May 2023***||Friday 19 May 2023; 11am
|Thursday 8 June 2023****||Friday 23 June 2023; 11am|
*10 working days are reequired for preparation, circulation and review of all documenation in advance of each meeting. It is therefore essential that documentation is submitted for the monthly submission deadline.
**Thursday 3 November 2022 - Last ACCE Deadline for December conferring
***Thursday 4 May 2023 - Last ACCE Deadline for June conferring
***Thursday 8 June 2023 - Last ACCE Deadline for September conferring
- ACCE Summary Report 17 September 2020
- ACCE Summary Report 15 October 2020
- ACCE Summary Report 19 November 2020
- ACCE Summary Report 17 December 2020
- ACCE Summary Report 28 January 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 25 February 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 25 March 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 22 April 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 20 May 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 24 June 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 22 July 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 17 September 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 22 October 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 19 November 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 17 December 2021
- ACCE Summary Report 25 March 2022
- ACCE Summary Report 20 May 2022
- ACCE Summary Report 24 June 2022
- ACCE Summary Report 22 July 2022
- ACCE Summary Report 16 September 2022