Cycle to work
Page updated: 23 February 2023
Cycle to Work Scheme
The Cycle to Work Scheme allows employees to purchase a bicycle and associated equipment, tax-free, up to a certain value. The aim of this national scheme is to encourage more employees to cycle to work. Below details on how the scheme operates and on how you can participate in the scheme. UCD HR is working in partnership with a company called TravelHub / Bike To Work Ltd. to administer the scheme.
Who is the scheme open to?
The scheme is open to all permanent, indefinite duration and fixed term employees.
The exemption from income tax in respect of benefit-in-kind can only be availed of once in any four-year period. The tax incentive works through a salary sacrifice arrangement whereby the University bears the full upfront cost of the bicycle/equipment and the employee pays back through salary deduction, normally over a 12-month or 52-week period or over the remainder of your contract if this is less than 12 months.
What is covered?
There are 3 limits depending on the type of bike you bought. The limit (including related safety equipment) is:
- €3,000 for cargo and ecargo bikes.
- €1,500 for pedelecs and e-bikes.
- €1,250 for other bicycles.
From 1 August 2020 to 31 December 2022 the limit for cargo and ecargo bikes was €1,250 and €1,500 respectively.
Note: A cargo bicycle is a bicycle with a special purpose frame which has been designed to carry heavy loads, or passengers other than the rider. A container or a platform may be integrated into, or attached to, this frame in front of, or behind, the rider. An e-cargo bicycle is a cargo bicycle with a pedelec configuration. A bicycle cannot be converted into a cargo bicycle by simply attaching a container or a trailer. The frame must be specially designed to carry large or heavy loads or passengers.
As an employee, you can use the scheme once every 4 years. The four-year span between tax breaks is counted by tax year. If you bought a bike in 2020, regardless of the month, you could buy a new bike and avail of the next tax relief in January 2024.
The Cycle to Work Process
- Step 1: Go to the Bike section of the TravelHub microsite for UCD https://ucd.travelhub.ie/make-application/bike and print off the Bike Shop Quote Form on that page.
- Step 2: Bring this form to one of the participating bike shops (listed in the Search Bike Shop link at the above link); and present to the shop staff once you've picked a bike and equipment.
- Step 3: The bike shop will prepare a written Bike to Work Ltd quotation (not greater than the €1,250/€1,500 limit) for you. Take care not to lose this quotation as you will need it to process your application online.
- Step 4: Go back to the Bike to Work microsite for UCD (see above link) and submit your quotation online by clicking on Submit Quotation.
- You must either Register (as a first-time user of the TravelHub site) or Login if you are an existing user.
- After you login, click on New Order and choose 'Bike' as the product you want from the drop-down list.
- Fill in the details of your order and at the bottom of the page click 'Preview Purchase Agreement'. The purchase agreement will auto-populate based on the information you have entered on your order.
- Click “I agree to Purchase Agreement” and Submit.
- Orders must be submitted by 5pm on the 05th and 15th of the month for this to be processed that month. If the 05th or 15th falls on a weekend, your order must be submitted by 5pm on the Friday beforehand.
- Step 5: UCD approves your order and arranges payment for your chosen bicycle/equipment.
- Step 6: Bike to Work Ltd will send you a voucher email
- Step 7: Take the voucher email back to the bicycle shop to redeem your bicycle and/or equipment.
- You will be required to present photographic ID (UCD staff card, Passport or Driving Licence) and the voucher email when collecting your bicycle and/or equipment.
- Please treat the voucher as cash and only hand the voucher over when receiving the bike and accessories.
- Step 8: Deductions from your salary will commence from the first of the following month.