Adoptive Leave Policy
Adoptive Leave Process
Step 1: Gather the required informaton
Before commencing this process you’ll need to know or consider the following information:
- What is Date of Placement? You’ll need a letter from the Adoption Authority confirming this.
- When will I start my paid Adoptive Leave? On the Date of Placement?
- When will I end my paid Adoptive Leave?
- Will I take additional unpaid Adoptive Leave immediately after the 24 paid weeks have elapsed?
- Do any public holidays fall during this period?
- Will I propose to take additional paid / unpaid Annual Leave?
- Taking all the above into account, what date do I propose to return?
Step 2: Download both UCD and statutory documentation
- Download and complete the UCD Notification of Intention to take Adoptive Leave form
- Download an Adoptive Benefit Form (AB1) from Gov.ie. It’s best to do this now and you can find some supporting information further down this page.
Step 3: Have a conversation
Once you’ve considered or gathered the information above, you’ll need have a conversation with your Head of School / Unit. They will need to sign off on the Notification of Intention to take Adoptive Leave form, confirming approval to take additional paid/leave.
Step 4: Submit your documentation to HR
Following the conversation with your HOS / HOU you can submit your documentation to HR for implementation:
- Notification of Intention to take Adoptive Leave form
- “Declaration of Suitability" or a “Certificate of Placement”
- Adoptive Benefit Form (AB1)
Completing the Adoptive Benefit Form (AB1)
- UCD Employees need to complete AB1 (Part 1 -3 & 5-8 of the form).
- UCD Employees need to send in AB1 (Part 4) to UCD HR for completion.
Step 5: Submit your Adoptive Benefit Form (AB1)
When your AB1 form has been completed by UCD HR, we will send it back to either your place of work or home address. You will then need to send it onto the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Adoptive Benefit Section.
What happens next?
You will receive a letter from UCD HR confirming:
- Receipt of your “Notification of Intention to take Adoptive Leave form".
- Your adoptive leave dates.
- The date you are due to return to the university following the leave concerned.
Note! The adoptive leave “Notification of Return to Work” form will be enclosed with the adoptive leave acknowledgement letter.
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Step 1: Complete and return your “Notification of Return to Work” form no later than 4 weeks before your return to work.
You’ll need to discuss and get approval from your Head of School / Unit if you plan to take additional annual leave at the end of your adoptive leave.
- Notification of intention to take Adoptive Leave form
- Adoptive Leave Return to Work Form
- Additional Unpaid Adoptive Leave Application Form
- Adoptive Benefit Form (AB1) can be downloaded from gov.ie
Frequently Asked Questions
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
You should input your bank details on the form as the adoptive benefit will be paid by direct payment each week in advance to your account. Your salary for the duration of your adoptive leave will be adjusted accordingly.
Yes, if you are paying PRSI Class A or E.
Contact the HR Helpdesk
The HR Helpdesk is the primary point of contact for all your employment-related queries. We are here to help you with any queries on employee benefits, terms & conditions and HR policies & procedures. If we can’t help you directly we will refer your query to a HR specialist area.
2nd Floor Roebuck Offices,
UCD Belfield Campus.