Recommendations for buying a new laptop
Please note these are recommendations and should be seen as guidelines only when purchasing a new laptop.
Please note that certain Schools might have specific device requirements for your course.
It is recommended that your laptop should have:
- Processor: Intel Core i-3, i-5 or i-7 (9th Generation) or AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation Processors , running at 2.0Ghz and above.
(Intel Atom/Celeron or AMD Athlon/Sempron Processors may cost less, but may not meet your requirements)
- Random Access Memory (RAM): 8 Gigabytes minimun
- Solid State Drive Capacity: 256 Gigabytes minimum
- Supported Operating System
- Wireless Card: 802.11 a/b/g/n compliant with Bluetooth Capability
(incompatibilities have been noted with the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Adapters and software device drivers)
- Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics/AMD Radeon™ Graphics/NVidia Quadro
- Network card: A 10/100/1000 baseT Ethernet Interface
- USB Ports: between two and four USB Ports, with at least two USB 3.0 Ports.
Users may need to purchase a 'Type-C to USB Converter' if the laptop has no USB Ports, like some of the newer Macbooks and Windows Laptops.
- USB/Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter (for Apple Macintosh), USB to Ethernet adapters (for Windows) to use the Ethernet Network Connection Ports in UCD.
All laptops come with a one year manufacturer's warranty.
If available, try to get this upgraded to two years, as most hardware issues occur in the first two years.
Microsoft Office 2016 is available free for both Windows and Apple Macintosh OS.
Sophos Anti-virus is available free for both Windows and Apple Macintosh OS from Software downloads in UCD Connect.
We recommend registering your new laptop at the beginning of the year.