Media Creation Service
This service offers the opportunity to create audio and video for learning, teaching and research using various options to allow you to create and complete your content. The options available are; standalone audio recording, assisted recording of audio material with an audio specialist, self/assisted recording of video material and video and audio editing functionality.
While the standalone audio recording is suitable for any member of staff, it is envisaged that, initially, some assistance may be required with the other options.
The facilities are available to book during normal business hours, Mon-Fri 9.30am-5.30pm.
Standalone audio recording in a self-service sound proof vocal booth. This option is best suited to those who want a quick turnaround and audio output may be taken from the booth via the user's own usb key.
For first time users, an appointment can be made to receive guidance and tips to get the best out of the standalone recording experience.
Assisted audio recording is recommended where a studio quality production is required and involves working with an audio specialist in the adjoining edit suite. This service is best suited to those looking for very polished output.
The Assisted Audio Recording space must only be booked by a media specialist or an educational technologist who has been trained in how to use the specialist equipment.
This space offers a video lounge with green and white screen facilities, 3 cameras and studio lighting. It is suitable for recording 1 or 2 person segments in a variety of formats.
The Video Capture space must only be booked by a video specialist or an educational technologist who has been trained in how to use the specialist equipment.
The Edit Suite is available for video and audio editing using Final Cut Pro. The edit suite may be booked in tandem with Assisted Audio or Video Capture depending on requirements. The media specialist or education technologist making the booking will be able to determine whether this is a requirement or not.
This space must be booked by a media specialist or an education technologist who has been trained in how to use the specialist equipment.
The Echo360 Video Capture Booth is a fixed installation space which can be used to capture video, audio, screens and document camera output. This is located in the IT Centre in the Daedalus building. This booth allows video input from a video camera or document camera and anything presented via the PC, including audio. The resulting podcast can then be processed and published.
The optional Wolfvision document camera / visualiser is a HD camera which can zoom in and out. This can be used to record media using the ECHO 360 solution or can be used as a standalone solution. Details of the Wolfvision Series 8 camera can be seen at Wolfvision Visualizer Overview.
You can use your iPad or Android device to do a range of interactive recordings, see VSolution Connect Overview.
If you would prefer to use the Echo360 software installed on your own computer to create your content, please see Video Capture (Deskside) for more information.
Instructions for use
Turn on the power for PC, Camera and Sound.
All levels are pre-set and controls should be left as they are.
- Prior to commencing your recording, make sure you have your lecture materials or presentation ready. Click on the "Record" icon in the centre of the screen on the PC's desktop.
- Enter the username INSTRUCTOR and the password INSTRUCTOR. Click on AD HOC CAPTURE and complete your details on the form on screen.
- Describe the Capture : Enter your full title and lecture title (module code)
You now have 5 seconds to maximise your presentation and to start your lecture/talk.
- When you have finished, restore the ECHO screen and choose Stop, Pause or Extend (if you have run over the original itme you set, it will have automatically stopped).
- When you have finished, pleast power off all units.
- Please power down the PC by clicking the Windows logo and then choose Shut down
- Use the Remote to turn off the camera and the switch on the Mixer box
- Please leave the Echo Capture unit powered on
- Inform IT Services and we will process the file and email you the link to the recording.
- If you would like to schedule another recording, please check the room availability on the calendar in the booking form section below.
- Please make sure to lock the room and return the key to an IT Services staff member in the Daedalus IT Centre.
Please note : If you cannot see a login box for this form, you must first log into UCD Connect mail in a seperate browser tab. Go to UCD Connect and click on the Mail icon. Once logged in, return to and refresh this page and you will see the booking form.
1. Can I borrow equimpent from the rooms in the Media Creation Suite?
No equipment can leave any of the media spaces. All work must be completed within the suite. Extra time slots may be booked (dependant on availability) if extra time is needed.
2. Can the lighting in the Video Capture space be changed?
If you require the lighting setup to be changed, please contact IT Services to arrange this.