HEAnet Multimedia Hosting
The HEAnet Multimedia Hosting service provides hosting and streaming of videos for UCD Staff and Students. The uploaded videos are transcoded into streaming formats such as:
- Flash Media
- Windows Media and h.264
The videos are then available to be embedded in the user's websites, VLE or to be viewed by using a unique URL allowing users to share video content.
The service can be accessed as follows:
- Goto http://media.heanet.ie
- Click on the “LOGIN” button
- Select "University College Dublin" as your Provider
- Input your UCD Connect username & password and click on “Log In”
Note: You may get a Security Warning - just click on Continue
Help and advice is available from the Helpdesk at ext. 2700 or by firstname.lastname@example.org and from the IT Centres
1. Who can use this service and is there a cost for using the service?
This is a free service available to all staff and students in UCD.
2. What are the recommended settings when capturing or producing a video?
For recommended settings click here
3. What format does the video need to be in to be uploaded?
While the service prefers MP4, it will generally accept any of the following formats: 3g2, 3gp, 3gp2, 3gpp, asf, asx, avi, divx, mts, m2t, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mpe, mpeg, mpg, ogg, wmv.
4. How do I upload a video to be streamed?
Click on “Upload” and then the “Browse” button and select the file to be uploaded.
5. How do I know a video is ready to be streamed?
This can take an hour or so, when the video is ready you should be able to play it on the screen, before that you will see the message “Your Video is being processed…”
6. How do users access a video, which has been uploaded?
Users can access the video if you send them the link. This can be seen by clicking on the “Share” button. Copy the link and email it to users or place it into a Brightspace course page etc.
7. What software is required to view an uploaded video?
All videos can be viewed in a standard browser.
8. Can non-UCD users access a video?
Yes, once they are given the relevant URL.
9. Can access to a video be limited to a defined set of users?
Currently the service is not designed to offer grouping of users.
10. What time is the service available?
This service is hosted on a highly resilient system which will be available 24*7. Any planned maintenance and unscheduled outages will be communicated to users via the IT Services service announcements
11. Is there a maximum number of videos that can be hosted?
This is a free service available to all staff and students in UCD. At present no limits have been placed on number of files.
12. Is there a maximum size video that can be hosted?
There is currently no restriction of the amount of content a user can upload or on how long videos will be available. Browsers may have limits on file size upload.
13. How long is video content hosted for?
Once the video is not deleted, it will be available as long as the service is available. If an account is disabled the user will not be able to upload new content or delete existing content. The service does not delete content automatically, it would only be deleted if the owner deletes it.
14. How do I delete a video from the service?
To delete a file click on the “Delete” button.
15. If I delete a video from the service, how do I get it restored?
It is not possible to restore a video however the user can upload the video source to the service again to make it available. For this reason we would recommend originals are always kept by the creator of the video.