Email in UCD
The UCD mail service is part of G-Suite for Education which also includes Google Calendar and file storage using Google Drive. This service is based on an agreement between Google, the service providers, and UCD.
For both functionality and security reasons, we recommend that you use the Google provided webmail client for your desktop or laptop. If you are using mail on your phone or other device, we recommend you use the official Google Mail, Calendar and Drive apps (available from the Appstore or Google Play). The mail client is called Gmail - Email by Google. The Calendar client is simply called Google Calendar.
How do I search in Google Mail?
You can use search in Google Mail the same way you'd use Google Search, by entering a word (or multiple words) that appears anywhere within the message you want to locate. If you're looking for a message that contains the words testing schedule, simply type testing schedule in the search field and press the Search button. Your results will be displayed with your search terms highlighted in yellow. You can do an advanced search by clicking the small arrow to the right of the search box, and entering your criteria in the appropriate fields. For information on using the Search facility click here
Set an out-of-office reply
- Click on the gear icon at the top-right of the screen and select Settings
- Scroll down the screen to Out of Office AutoReply and enter the dates you wish to set the out-of-office reply
Note: Your out-of-office starts at 12:00 AM on the start date and ends at 11:59 PM on the end date, unless you end it earlier
Sign into a personal Google account without signing-out of your UCD one
- Click on the icon at the top-right of the screen and select Add Account
- Enter your Gmail address and password
Deleting items in Google Mail
IMPORTANT: When you delete a mail in Google Mail it gets moved to the Bin. Messages that have been in the Bin for more than 30 days are automatically and permanently deleted.
Change the look and feel of the Google Mail interface
Click on the gear icon at the top-right of the screen and select Settings. Set the display density as required.
From the General tab you can:
- Select the number of messages to view per page
- Switch the conversation view on/off. Conversation view threads emails i.e. all emails within a conversation appear as one email in the Inbox. Switching conversation off displays all of the individual emails from the conversation.
- Change the buttons at the top of the screen to show text rather than icons
- Add an email signature
- Set an out-of-office reply
- Add a forwarding address
- Switch snippets off/on (this displays the initial text in the email in the Inbox)
Click the Save Changes button to apply the changes
Add a signature
Mail Forwarding for Staff leaving UCD
A mail forwarding service is available to staff leaving the university. Details are available here
Why am I seeing security alerts for a gtempaccount?
Review the information here to resolve sign-in alerts
Please note from a security perspective IT Services advise that you have a PIN for accessing your phone if your work email is on it.
- For iPhone and iPad, download the GMail app from the app store.
- For Android devices, the Gmail app should already be installed. If not, download it from Google Play.
To setup the app, sign-in with your UCD email address and, at the next screen, enter your UCD Connect username and password.