Google Calendar in UCD
|A simple calendar tool and much more, Google Calendar enables you to organise your activities, set up meetings, receive timely reminders and manage your busy schedule. Fully integrated with Google Tasks, Google Keep online notes and video call applications such as Google Meet and Zoom (for staff), it provides the complete meeting administration platform.
Google Calendar is provided to you by UCD IT Services as part of the Google Workspace (formerly GSuite) package of enterprise applications.
Google Calendar (2:23)
Discover the additional features that make Google Calendar much more than a simple calendar
» Watch more of our videos on YouTube
All links are to our Knowledge Base articles on the UCD IT Support Hub:
Find out more about the basic and advanced tasks in Google Calendar in the Google Workspace Learning Center (opens on Google Support website).
Data protection and security
The formal data protection agreement between UCD and Google means you need have no concerns about privacy or the security of your work or private notes. Some other 3rd party applications will not have gone through a formal security review so do not come with the same level of reassurance.
Visit our Top Security Tips web page to learn how to stay cybersafe while working remotely.
- Share your Google Calendar with colleagues in your office or school and make it easy to set up meetings, check availability, set reminders and even find a meeting room.
- Use "Suggested times" or "Find a time" features and the calendar will instantly come back with a range of meeting time options when all invited guests are available with no conflicts.
- Set-up a shared office calendar to share common office events, staff availability, working from office/home etc.
- Add additional value to your meeting or event by seamlessly making your meeting a Zoom or Google Meet call and/or add an attachment for discussion either from Google Drive or upload directly from your desktop.
- Maintain access to your calendar on the go, moving seamlessly between mobile and desktop devices.
- Manage those “to do” lists by integrating Google tasks with your calendar.
- Compartmentalise your life by easily setting up separate but overlaying calendars for work, home and social life. This allows you to see all your calendars together but you maintain full control over privacy so personal calendars and events are only visible to you.
- Add a location for your meeting through the integrated Google maps feature.
Access your Google Calendar
Your UCD Google account has Calendar integrated and can be accessed directly from the UCD Connect page or from within your email. Please visit links below for information on how to use the calendar and how to access the calendar on mobile devices.
Google Calendar Essentials
- Create a team calendar
- Send quick Calendar responses on the go
- Attach a document to your event
- See a work colleague's availability
- Set your work location
- While working with Google Calendar you can seamlessly manage your daily tasks and “to do” lists using Google Tasks and Google Keep. To learn more on how to use Google Products like Tasks and Keep side by side please see Google’s support page
Some Additional Calendar Features you may find useful
- Browse calendars of Interest - You can overlay for example all Public Holidays on your calendar
- Work in different Calendar time zones
- Add personal goals to your schedule from your mobile device
- Manage large events in Calendar
- Filter Calendar responses from Gmail
- Integrate your Google Calendar with Alexa
- Integrate your Google Calendar with Google Voice Assistant
With Google calendar you can make any of your events into video calls thanks to “one click” integration of Zoom and Google Meet.
Please see our video calls and conferencing page for further information on Zoom and Google Meet including a comparison chart of these applications.
Google Calendar Best Practice for your College/School, Office or Project Team
- Set-up and configure a centrally managed calendar that can be shared within your group for common and important meetings and events.
- Encourage colleagues to share calendars and events so everyone in your team has visibility of eachothers key events. With calendar sharing all members of a team know when a colleague is busy and unavailable. Google Calendar also allows you to set permission levels on each individual calendar to control the amount of power you grant to other people. You can allow them to have full access to create and change event details on that specific calendar or set it so they can only view an event but not edit it.
- Staff should use “Out of Office” and “On leave” notifications so your group knows who is away. “Out of Office” notifications carry over into other Google applications such as Chat making them more impactful.
- With the move to a hybrid work environment where team members will be working some/all of their time from home, use Google calendar to highlight your work location on any given day.
- Create calendars for different parts of your life and compartmentalise your activities. In this way you can overlay work and personal calendars for your own convenience while sharing your work events for the convenience of your colleagues.
- Seamlessly add a video call to your event or meeting with “one click” integration with Zoom and Google chat.
- Encourage staff to use the view “working hours” function to highlight their normal working hours of availability
- Encourage the use of event reminders so that users get plenty of notification of upcoming events. Users can set the frequency and type of reminder they choose to receive.
- Encourage the use of applications integrated with Calendar such as Google Keep and Tasks to improve record keeping and streamline basic administrative tasks. These applications can be set to highlight reminders and tasks in your calendar.
- Download the Google Calendar application so that your events are accessible seamlessly when on the move.