Get started with Google Chat
Whether you want to say “hello” to a colleague, get a quick response to an urgent project query, or just find out where your classmates are going for lunch, Google Chat is the perfect solution. A secure instant messaging application that is also embedded in your Gmail screen, Google Chat keeps all your messages in sync no matter which devices you use, even as you switch seamlessly between them while on the move. You can also create 'rooms' for group chats about your projects or activities.
Google Chat (2:19)
How to find your way around the various functions in Google Chat
» Watch more of our videos on YouTube
Benefits of Google Chat
- Start an instant chat with an individual or group.
- Set up a group around your school, office or project team so that you can easily communicate with each other on a particular area.
- Google Chat allows you to easily see who is available in real time, through "presence aware" should you need to message them.
- With the shift toward a hybrid work environment with some staff spending some/all of their time working from home Instant chat is the perfect tool to keep up the rapport and sense of community that mimics staff sharing an office space.
- Easy search faciltity to find colleagues you need to message or communicate with.
- Archive / History - Allows you to refer back if there is something you’ve forgotten or maybe a team contribution you need to include in a report. Your conversation history is always available.
- Team Building - Google Chat promotes easy conversation with colleagues both formally and socially. Chat helps replace the casual office discussion, more difficult to do with remote working but so important for staff moral. Google chat helps build connectedness and that sense of community within your team.
How do I get Google Chat?
What can I do with Google Chat?
With Google chat you can direct message colleagues, collaborate through Chat rooms, manage your availability and integrate with your video conferencing application. Step by step guides are available to make sure you get the best out of Google Chat.
Google Chat guides and support
The effective and impactful use of chat needs buy-in and support from all members of a specific group be it staff in your school, administrative office or project team. Once users start using chat they will immediately see the benefits especially in this new era of the virtual work environment.
- Promote chat to your user community. The real added value of chat is proportional to the adoption rate within your work community.
- Encourage users to "turn on" presence aware. A key benefit of chat is being able to see in realtime who is available to engage with for that quick query or notification.
- Configure Chat rooms in advance to promote discussion around a particular team, topic or project.
- Use Chat for key announcements to your group. Your user community will engage if they know this is the forum to hear the latest posts and updates.
- Encourage your team to use chat for those informal and fun communications whether it's some of the latest group news or simply where the team are heading for coffee or lunch. Chat is a great tool to keep up the rapport and sense of community that mimics staff sharing an office space.
New Version of Google Chat
Google has launched a new more user-friendly version of its enterprise-grade collaboration Chat application which will be known as Google Chat. Chat has a new modern UI, team rooms that support better team collaboration and the new version includes an upgraded Gmail integration. The new Google Chat replaces the old Hangouts Chat application.
Where do I find my old chats?
You will be able to continue recent 1:1 direct messages from classic Hangouts in Google Chat, but group messages from classic Hangouts (including their history) will not be migrated to Google Chat.
All previous chat history from classic Hangouts will be accessible in Gmail.
The classic Hangouts web interface for chat, hangouts.google.com will remain available during this transition in case you need more time to access group conversations.
Formal Data Protection agreement between UCD and Google means you need have no concerns about privacy or the security of your work conversations. Some other 3rd party chat applications will not have gone through a formal security review so do not come with the same level of reassurance.
Visit our Top Security Tips webpage to learn how to stay cybersafe while working remotely.