RAMI Intern Study Day 2014
The Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland Section of Interns Study Day took place in the Corrigan and Graves Hall, RCPI,
Kildare St on Saturday 18th January 2014. 235 abstracts were received from interns across all Intern Training Networks to be considered at the Study Day. The presentations consisted of both oral and poster presentations with the RAMI Bronze Medal awarded for both the best poster and platform presentations in the categories of
- Case Presentation Medicine (Platform)
- Case Presentation Surgery (Platform)
- Clinical Research (Platform)
- Research Basic (Platform)
including Poster Presentations in Case Presentation Medicine, Case Presentation Surgery and Clinical Research.
Mr. George Hook, Broadcaster, Journalist and Sports Commentator delivered an entertaining and impassioned keynote speech on the importance of Appropriate Career Choices.
The winners were as follows;
- Platform Case Presentation Surgery was Dr Jayne Doherty, NUI Galway Intern Training Network with an abstract titled ‘Epigastric pain…It’s not always alcohol!’.
- Platform Basic Research was Dr Oliver McElvaney, RCSI Intern Training Network with an abstract titled ‘The effect of PA-401 On Interleukin – 8 – levels In Airway Samples of Patients with Cystic Fibrosis’.
- Platform Case Presentation Medicine was Dr Stephanie Rutledge, UCD Intern Training Network with an abstract titled ‘Brain on fire.. Not just for the young. A case of anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis’.
- Platform Clinical Research was Dr Vanessa Collins, UCC Intern Training Network with an abstract titled ‘A Descriptive Study of Cause of Death in Homeless Adults in Cork’.
- Poster Case Presentation Surgery was Dr Teresa Sweeney, UCD Intern Training Network with an abstract titled ‘Thyroid Malignancy in Birt-Hogg-Dubé Syndrome: a case series and review of the literature’.
- Poster Clinical Research was was Dr Jennifer Scott, NUI Galway Intern Training Network with an abstract titled ‘An analysis of Lapses in Professionalism as Experienced by Interns in Clinical Practice’.
- Poster Case Presentation Medicine was was Dr Mary Ann Randles, UL Inter Training Network with an abstract titled ‘A case of atypical presentation of Ischemic Heart Disease in General Practice’.
Dr Dermot Power, RAMI President, Section of interns would like to thank all the Adjudicators including Dr Ivan Casserly, Consultant Cardiologist, Mater Private Hospital, Dr Eugene Cassidy, Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist, Cork University Hospital, Dr Joseph Eustace, Consultant Nephrologist, Cork University Hospital, Dr Bairbre Golden, Consultant Anaesthetist, Beacon Hospital Dublin, Professor Michael Kerin, Professor of Surgery, Galway University Hospital, Professor Eilis McGovern, HSE National Director for Medical Training, Professor Patrick Murray, Dean of Medicine and Head of UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science, Dr Nuala Murphy, Consultant Paediatrician, Children’s University Hospital, Temple Street, Dr Ross Murphy, Consultant Cardiologist, St James’s Hospital, Professor Owen Smith, Chair of Haematology, Trinity College, Professor Austin Stack, Professor of Medicine, University of Limerick, Professor Cillian Twomey, Professor of Geriatrics, Cork University Hospital, Professor Alan Watson, Professor of Nephrology, St Vincent’s University Hospital. In attendance were Dr Patrick O Sullivan, RAMI President and Professor Ken O Halloran, RAMI General Secretary.
A special thank you to our RAMI Committee members including Dr Denise Sadlier, Consultant Nephrologist, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Professor Alan Watson, Professor of Nephrology, St Vincent’s University Hospital, Ms Sinead Cleary, UCD Intern Network, Ms Helen Moore, Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland and the National University of Ireland, Galway.
All abstracts will be published in the Irish Journal of Medical Science.