UCD Intern Career Advice Day
The UCD Intern Career Advice Day was held on Saturday, 19th November 2016 in the Catherine McAuley Education & Research Centre, Nelson Street, Dublin 7. Approximately 90 of the 141 UCD Medical Interns attended the event as they prepare their 2017 Basic Specialist Training (BST) applications and sought career advice on completion of their CPD UCD Intern Training Programme in July 2017. The event organisers offer their sincere thanks to UCD & RCSI lead Academics & RCPI Staff who delivered a series of presentations on Career Progression and who participated in practice interviews.
Topics and Speakers included:
- CAREER IN RESEARCH by Professor Donal Brennan, UCD Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital / National Maternity Hospital and St Vincent’s University Hospital
- KEYTALK ON CAREER PATHWAY by Professor Donal Buggy, UCD Full Professor of Anaesthesia, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital
- CULTIVATING ‘MEANING’ TO DRIVE YOUR CAREER by Mr John Slattery, CEO, Inspo
- RCPI Q & A SESSION delivered by the BST Lead Team, RCPI
- SURGICAL TRAINING PATHWAY by Professor Oscar Traynor, Director, National Surgical Training Centre, RCSI
- CAREER PATHWAYS
- Professor Padraic MacMathuna, Consultant Gastroenterologist, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital
- Dr Tomás Breslin, Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital
- Assoc Prof Sinéad Murphy, Consultant Paediatrician, National Children’s Hospital & UCD Director of Paediatric Education
- Assoc Prof Mary Higgins, Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, National Maternity Hospital
- Dr Ferdia Bolster, Consultant Radiologist, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital
- Professor Ronan Cahill, UCD Full Professor of Surgery, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital
- Assoc Prof Aoibhinn Lynch, UCD Associate Clinical Professor & Consultant in Old Age Psychiatry, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital
- Dr Austin O Carroll , Programme Director, North Dublin City GP Training Programme
A series of practice interviews were conducted to prepare UCD interns for BST interviews in Anaesthesia (SAT Year 1 & 2), Core Specialty Training in Emergency Medicine CSTEM (1 – 3), General Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Core Surgical Training ST1 - ST2, Common Stem Pathway (Radiology), General Practice, Psychiatry.
A separate career evening was held for the Ophthalmology scheme and we extend our thanks to Professor Colm O Brien, UCD Full Professor of Opthalmology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital.
Associate Prof Dermot Power, UCD Intern Network Coordinator would like to extend his thanks to all who participated in the event and to Ms Sinéad Cleary, Ms Carla Coll, Ms Brenda Moran & Ms Sarah Kyne for their support in organising the event.