UCD Clinical Pathway 2015 Appointments
The School has announced 47 new adjunct academic appointments and 27 progressions within the 2015 UCD Clinical Pathway. In total, 3 individuals have been appointed as UCD Clinical Professor bringing the total number of individuals appointed to this academic rank to 9. A further 22 individuals have been appointed to, or have progressed to UCD Associate Clinical Professor. 21 individuals have been appointed as UCD Senior Clinical Lecturer and a further 14 have progressed within the pathway from UCD Clinical Lecturer rank. 28 first time applicants were appointed as UCD Clinical Lecturer bringing this cohort to a total of 227 individuals. A number of individuals have been re-appointed at the same academic rank or have had their original five year term of appointment extended.
The three appointments to the rank of UCD Clinical Professor include:
- Professor Jonathan Dodd (Radiology, SVUH)
- Professor Brian Kirby (Dermatology, SVUH)
- Professor Colm O’Donnell (Neonatology, NMH).
Appointees at UCD Associate Clinical Professor rank include:
- Prof Ivan Casserly (Cardiology MMUH)
- Prof Glen Doherty (Gastroenterology SVUH)
- Prof Joseph Duggan (Geriatrics, MMUH)
- Prof Michael Farrell (Neuropathology SVUH)
- Prof Richard Firth (Endocrinology MMUH)
- Prof Chris Fitzpatrick (Obstetrics & Gynaecology Coombe)
- Prof Allys Guerandel (Psychiatry SVUH)
- Prof Ina Knerr (Paediatrics CUH)
- Prof John Lambert (Medicine MMUH)
- Prof Leo P. Lawler (Radiology MMUH)
- Prof Niall Mahon (Cardiology MMUH)
- Prof Colin McMahon (Paediatrics OLCHC)
- Prof James McCarthy (Surgery MMUH / SVUH)
- Prof Ray McDermott (Oncology SVUH)
- Prof Malachi J. McKenna (Endocrinology SVUH)
- Prof Nuala Murphy (Paediatrics Temple St)
- Prof Ann O’Doherty (Radiology SVUH)
- Prof Martin K. O'Donohoe (Surgery MMUH)
- Prof Donal O'Shea (Medicine Loughlinstown)
- Prof Gregory Pastores (Genetics MMUH)
- Prof Colm Quigley (General Medicine Wexford)
- Prof Cecily Quinn (Pathology SVUH)
- Prof Kevin Walsh (Paediatrics OLCHC)
The 2015 UCD Clinical Pathway appointments bring our clinical faculty to 428 adjunct staff members comprising:
|Academic Rank||No. of Appointees|
|UCD Clinical Professor||9|
|UCD Associate Clinical Professor||60|
|UCD Senior Clinical Lecturer||132|
|UCD Clinical Lecturer||227|
Consistent with the current University norms, promotion within the UCD Clinical Pathway remains highly competitive with just 16% of applicants successfully progressing to a higher academic rank. Applicants are required to provide detailed evidence for evaluation under assessment criteria which includes research & scholarship, teaching & examination, contribution to UCD, to the teaching hospital or the clinical training network, contribution to Irish healthcare and national leadership & international reputation. The School strives to make its adjunct clinical titles reflect academic achievements and not simply reflect clinical seniority or time served.
Adjunct appointments have been made across a range of clinical subject areas across 32 clinical sites which support our teaching and research programmes. Appointees include hospital consultants, general practitioners, radiographers and medical imaging specialists.
Our School is highly dependent on clinicians within our affiliated teaching hospitals, acute, general and specialist hospitals and within primary care centres to deliver the clinical training component of our education programmes and to help drive our biomedical and clinical research programmes.
Clinician engagement in University business is greatly facilitated by having a formal adjunct appointment. Hence in 2008, we introduced the UCD Clinical Pathway scheme to provide formal university acknowledgement of these contributions to academic activities, recognising that many clinicians contribute strongly despite having no protected academic time.