RAMI Intern Section Study Day 2016
The Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland (RAMI) Section of Interns Study Day took place in the Corrigan and Graves Hall, RCPI, Kildare St on Saturday 30th January 2016. A totla of 338 abstracts were received from interns across all Intern Training Networks for consideration at the Study Day.
The presentations consisted of both oral and poster presentations with the RAMI Bronze Medal awarded for both the best in the categories of
- Case Presentation Medicine
- Case Presentation Surgery
- Clinical Research
The winners were as follows;
Best Case Oral Presentation
Oral winner was Dr Anne Fennessy, UCD Intern Training Network with an abstract title ‘Metastatic Basal Cell Carcinoma and Upper Limb Amputation’.
Best Case Poster Presentation
Poster winner was Dr Brendan Kelly, UCD Intern Training Network with an abstract title ‘A Case of Splenic Injury after Colonoscopy (SIAC)’.
Best Clinical Research Oral Presentation
Oral winner was Dr James O Connell, NUIG Intern Training Network with an abstract title ‘A Retrospective Study to determine if the Multiple Sclerosis Severity Score has a Clinical Utility in Predicting Patient Responsiveness to Tysabri®’.
Best Clinical Research Poster Presentation
Poster winner was Dr Caitriona Breathnach, TCD Intern Training Network with an abstract title ‘Detection and Management of delirium in new Medicine for the Elderly’.
Dr Dermot Power, RAMI President, Section of interns extended his thanks all the Adjudicators which included:
- Mr Muyiwa Aremu, Consultant Surgeon, NUIG
- Dr Larry Bacon, Consultant Haematologist, St James’s Hospital
- Dr David Burke, Consultant Cardiologist, Beacon Hospital
- Dr Dara Byrne, NUIG Intern Coordinator, Galway
- Prof Desmond Carney, Chair of the Irish Committee on Higher Medical Training, RCPI
- Prof Anthony Cunningham, Consultant Anaesthetist, NUIG
- Dr Sinead Galvin, Consultant Anaesthetist, Beaumont Hospital
- Dr John Holian, Consultant Nephrologist, St Vincent’s University Hospital
- Dr John McDermott, Associate Director of Basic Specialist Training, RCPI
- Dr Paddy Mallon, Associate Dean, Research & Innovation, UCD School of Medicine
- Prof Patrick Murray, Dean of Medicine & Head of UCD School of Medicine
- Prof Anthony O Regan, Consultant Respiratory Physician, NUIG.
A special thank you to our RAMI Committee members including Dr Denise Sadlier, Consultant Nephrologist, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Ms Sinead Cleary, UCD Intern Network and Ms Helen Moore, Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland and abstract reviewers Dr Denise Sadlier, Dr Michael Fay, Dr Cathy Kelly, Dr Audrey Melvin, and Dr Matthew Sadlier.
Financial support was received from the Medical Schools of the National University of Ireland, Galway and University College Cork with many thanks.
All abstracts will be published in the Irish Journal of Medical Science.