HIV Molecular Research Featured at International Conferences
Research by the UCD HIV Molecular Research Group in prestigious International and European conferences being presented in Milan this week.
The UCD HMRG had a strong showing at two prestigious international conferences being held concurrently in Milan this week, the 19th international Workshop on Co-morbidities and Adverse Drug Reactions (IWCADR) and the 16th European AIDS Clinical Society Conference (EACS). These conferences are the foremost conferences in HIV and Co-Morbidities in Europe in 2017. HMRG researchers presented a total of 10 abstracts, with 6 oral presentations covering issues relating to bone disease, dyslipidaemia, quality of life and clinical trials of new antiretroviral agents for the management of HIV, in collaboration with colleagues across the globe.
The research presented includes work by two UCD medical students; Aoife Lacey who presented an important paper describing development of dyslipidaemia in people with HIV with introduction of newer drugs, and Harveena Kaur Gill who presented on effectiveness of statin use in the real world setting, work completed as part of a SSRA in 2017. These successes highlight the ongoing international impact of HMRG research in the field of HIV.
- E Bagkeris, Aoife G Cotter (presenting author), F Post, A Winston, PWG Mallon, CA Sabin. The contribution of HIV infection to reduced bone mineral density (BMD): the POPPY Study. 16th ACS Conference, MIlan 2017. (Oral).
- Relationships between bone density, bone quality and reported fractures within the HIV UPBEAT cohort. Tara McGinty, AG Cotter, CA Sabin,A Macken,E Kavanagh, J Compston, G Sheehan, J Lambert, PWG Mallonon behalf of the HIV UPBEAT Study Group. 16th EACS Conference, Milan 2017. (Oral).
- Longitudinal analysis of Quality of Life (QOL) in HIV-positive and HIV-negative subjects enrolled to the UPBEAT (Understanding the Pathology of Bone Disease in HIV Infected Subjects) cohort study after 5 years of follow-up. Elena Alvarez, AG Cotter, C Sabin, S Babu, R Chen, A Macken, JJ Brady, E Kavanagh, G McCarthy, J Compston, PWG Mallon, for the HIV UPBEAT Study Group. 19th IWCADR, Milan 2017 (Oral).
- Investigating the effect of antiretroviral switch to tenofovir alafenamide on lipid profiles in people living with HIV within the UCD ID Cohort. Aoife Lacey, W Tinago, E Alvarez Barco, AJ Macken, G Sheehan, JS Lambert, A Cotter, PWG Mallon. 19th IWCADR, Milan 2017 (Oral).
- Patterns of co-occurring comorbidities in people living with HIV. Davide De Francesco, E Bagkeris, PWG Mallon, CA Sabin and A Winston on behalf of the POPPY study group. 19th IWCADR, Milan 2017 (Oral).
- High prevalence and burden of pain in people living with HIV (PLWH): the POPPY Study. CA Sabin, E Bagkeris, K Nkhoma, F Post, M Sachikonye, M Boffito, J Anderson, PWG Mallon, R Harding, A Winston for the POPPY study group. 16th EACS Conference, Milan 2017. (Oral)
- Use of lipid lowering therapy (LLT) and achievement of recommended targets in an aging cohort of people living with HIV. Harveena Kaur Gill, C Boyle, A Macken, J Lambert, G Sheehan, A Cotter, W Tinago, PWG Mallon, the UCD ID Cohort Study. 19th IWCADR, Milan 2017.
- Polypharmacy (PP) and Potential Drug-Drug Interactions (PDDI) in older and younger people living with HIV (PLWH): The POPPY Study. M O’Halloran (presenting author), C Boyle, B Kehoe, E Bagkeris, PWG Mallon, D Babalis, J Vera, A Winston, CA Sabin, M Boffito, for the POPPY Study. 16th EACS Conference, MIlan 2017.
- Depression and HIV-serostatus are independently associated with poorer health outcomes. D De Francesco, F Post, PWG Mallon, I Williams, D Asboe, L Garvey, E Bagkeris, J Anderson, C Sabin, A Winston, for the POPPY group. 16th EACS Conference, MIlan 2017.
- Phase 3 Randomized Controlled Trial of Switching to Emtricitabine/Tenofovir Alafenamide (F/TAF) from Abacavir and Lamivudine (ABC/3TC) in Virologically Suppressed Adults: Week 48 Results. A. Winston, FA Post, E DeJesus, D Podzamczer, G Di Perri, V Estrada, F Raffi, P Ruane, P Mallon, F Castelli, M Yan, S Cox, M Das, A Cheng, MS Rhee. 16th EACS Conference, MIlan 2017.