UCD Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (UCD-CAP)
We are an interdisciplinary group of clinicians, lecturers and researchers. We work collaboratively, through research, education, advocacy and communication, to improve the mental health and well-being of children in Ireland and internationally.
We carry out state-of-the-art, clinically relevant and patient-oriented research and teaching. Our international, multidisciplinary team has expertise in psychiatry, psychology, and critical health and draws on a range of clinical and theoretical perspectives. We are guided by the principles of the International Declaration on Youth Mental Health.
Mission Statement & Strategic Aims
The Mission of the UCD Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Group (UCD-CAP) is to improve the mental health and wellbeing of children and families through research, education, advocacy and communication, and maintain a significant media presence in print, radio, television and the Internet.
In addition to academic research and academic and clinical teaching, members of the UCD-CAP are passionate about communicating knowledge of child and adolescent mental health to professionals in education and other areas of health as well as parents.
Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists, Prof Fiona McNicholas and Dr Blánaid Gavin have developed and delivered an extremely successful programme of innovative education and training to psychiatrists, multi-disciplinary professionals, teachers, and parents. They have delivered over 40 courses for over 2060 clinicians, 54 parents’ evenings for nearly 5000 parents, courses for 650 teachers at the invitation of the Special Education Support Service of the Department of Education and HST and BST training for the College of Psychiatry of Ireland.
We aim to lead the field nationally and internationally in child and adolescent mental health research, education and advocacy by
- Researching to a world-class standard in child and adolescent mental health
- Delivering excellent undergraduate and graduate education in child and adolescent mental health
- Providing excellence in education for child and adolescent mental health professionals
- Transforming knowledge of child and adolescent mental health among parents, carers and support groups, though education
- Developing and hosting high quality conferences, master-classes, and certificates in child and adolescent mental health, and
- Developing, identifying and hosting high quality child and adolescent mental health web-based resources for young people, parents, teachers, clinicians and the general public