Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Doctoral research is a very important part of the School’s Graduate Programme and the range of dissertation topics which are currently under supervision (see below) reflects the diversity of interests present in the School. These topics include:
- Re-Staging Bharatanatyam in the Diaspora and Online
- Country Music in Ireland
- Algorithmic Music and Culture
- The Adaptation of the Violin in South Indian Music
- Music and Worship in the Nigerian Pentcostal community of Dublin
- The Role and Representation of Hip-Hop in Recent American Literature (jointly with the Clinton Institute for American Studies)
- Country Music and Memory in Ireland
- Migrancy and Cultural Transformation in Dublin's Cameroonian community
- Microtonality in the Music of Ezra Sims
- The History of Irish Brass Bands
Doctoral students now have the possibility of having their work substantially funded externally through the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (the School has a strong record of IRCHSS-funded PhD students).
The UCD School of Music has had enormous success in securing Irish Research Council funding for PhD students. At present, 80% of our PhD students are recipients of IRC funding.
Applicants to the PhD programme should have achieved a first or a very high 2.1 in their undergraduate and/or postgraduate degrees.
Admissions Process for September 2023
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will put you in touch with the relevant faculty member to discuss your plans.
- Prepare your application documents:
- A PhD Proposal of 1000-2000 words, to include an abstract, chapter outline, and select bibliography.
- An academic writing sample of ca. 3000 words (can be one long essay or two shorter essays).
- Your academic transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Submit your application by 6th March 2023. The online application portal will have a place for you to upload the above documents.
Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed by the School’s postgraduate entrance committee. You can expect to hear back from them by early April.