The Professional Diploma Prescribing Medicinal Products prepares the nurse or midwife for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) as a Registered Nurse Prescriber (RNP) or a Registered Midwife Prescriber (RMP). This is a 20 ECTS* credit, level 8 NFQ** special purpose award.
This programme provides the nurse or midwife with the requisite knowledge, skill and competence to prescribe medicinal products safely and effectively in accordance with legal and professional regulatory frameworks and standards. It is delivered in collaboration with lecturers from UCD School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science.
Candidates registering to this programme must have successfully completed at a minimum level 8 NFQ Health Assessment module. If you have not successfully completed a Health Assessment module, please apply to X644 Professional Diploma Prescription of Medication (with Health Assessment).
Prior to applying to UCD:
- Please read the HSE ONMSD (2020) Nurse and Midwife Medicinal Product Prescribing Toolkit: Application Guidelines for the Education Programmes
- Please discuss local 'prescribing medicinal product' policies, procedures and guidelines with the Prescribing Site Co-ordinator in the context of your application.
- Please contact your DON/DOM and complete a Site Declaration Form (click on ‘Documents to Be Submitted with your Application’ to access and download this form). Please complete this form in full prior to making an application. This form may take several weeks to complete.
- All applications will be reviewed after the closing date. Places will be offered on a first come, first served basis to applicants who meet the entry criteria, have uploaded fully complete required documentation and paid the application fee. Once capacity is reached, no further offers will be made. You are advised to apply early so as to avoid disappointment.
The Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director HSE funds all registered nurses and midwives employed in the HSE to undertake this education programme.
You may also be interested viewing in the University Certificate Prescribing Medicinal Products and Referring for Radiological Procedures which combines two programmes into one (i.e. the 'Professional Diploma Prescription of Medication' and the 'Professional Certificate Referring for Radiological Procedures').
* ECTS - European Credit Transfer System
** NFQ - National Framework of Qualifications