MA in Consciousness and Embodiment
The School of Philosophy at University College Dublin is pleased to announce a new exciting one-year taught MA Programme on the topics of embodied consciousness and cognition.
The MA draws on the research interests of philosophers and cognitive scientists in UCD. It brings together expertise from the phenomenological and analytic traditions in philosophy as well as empirical approaches to the study of the mind/brain to offer a unique taught Masters course on a much discussed and important topic.
The programme is available over 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time. At the heart of the module are six taught modules, which may be taken in any order. Below is an indicative list of modules that are offered in 2017-18:
- PHIL 40710 Phenomenology: Selected Readings (Dermot Moran)
- PHIL 41410 Personal Identity in Early Modern Philosophy (Ruth Boeker)
- PHIL 40970 Consciousness, Agency & the Self (Markus Schlosser)
- PHIL 41440 Critiquing Scientific Inference (Mikio Akagi)
- PHIL 40430 Philosophy of the Emotions (Rowland Stout)
- COMP 47230 Introduction to Cognitive Science (Fred Cummins)
- PSY 40550 Neuroscience/Readings in Visual Social Cognition (Nuala Brady/Jessica Bramham)
- PHIL 40250 Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology of Perception (Tim Mooney)
- PHIL 41420 Philosophy of Hedonism & Death (Tatjana von Solodkoff)
- COMP 40280 Topics in Cognitive Science (Fred Cummins)
- PHIL 41280 Feminist & Gender Theory (Katherine O'Donnell)
In addition, all students must complete a 12-15,000-word dissertation by August 2018. The admission requirements are the same as those for the MA Philosophy (general programme).
Full details on the MA programme as well as the research group and background are available here. (MA in Consciousness and Embodiment)
For further information, please contact the programme co-ordinator Prof. Maria Baghramian.
All administrative enquiries should be sent to the School Manager:
UCD School of Philosophy
University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Tel: +353 1 716 8186