Video - Ecological assessment of executive functions in preschool children - Dr Michelle Downes
Dr Michelle Downes presents on the development and assessment of executive functions, the air traffic control system of the brain.
Making decisions, focusing on tasks, keeping important information in mind, filtering irrelevant information, problem-solving.
- Why look at executive functions in young children?
- Protracted development of frontal cortex
- More predictive of school readiness than IQ/reading/math ability
- Executive impairments associated with most forms of psychopathology and poorer social skills
- Susceptible to disease/poor environment Important protective factor
- Most importantly, potential for improvement.
Early Identification = Early Intervention
Presentation was to the UCD School of Psychology, Feb 2018