UCD College of Business, one of six academic colleges that together form University College Dublin, has a long and distinguished history since it was established in 1908. Today, UCD College of Business comprises UCD Lochlann Quinn School of Business, UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Smurfit Executive Development and UCD Business International Campus.
The role of UCD College of Business in educating business leaders stretches back over 100 years with the establishment of the UCD Faculty of Commerce. The Bachelor of Commerce degree celebrated its centenary in 2011 and many leaders, in all walks of life, are BComm graduates.
In 2001, Lochlann and Brenda Quinn laid the foundation stone for the Quinn School, with all undergraduate business degrees in UCD based in the building from the following year. The building was named after Lochlann Quinn, a leading Irish businessman who provided generous financial support to UCD to make a state-of-the-art business school building possible.
In 2019, the new wing at UCD Quinn School was opened, UCD Moore Centre for Business – a fresh canvas of active learning classrooms, digital collaboration spaces, a showcase auditorium, and extensive co-working zones. The UCD Moore Centre for Business is built upon an extraordinary foundational gift from Angela Moore in memory of her late husband UCD alumnus and philanthropist George Moore.
In recent years, UCD Quinn School has broadened its connections with both the international university network and the corporate world. During a typical semester, about 15% of the student population comprises visiting and exchange students from around the world, while many of our students are on reciprocal exchanges at the best universities in many countries around the world. Also, each year around 200 of our students spend a year in internship positions with national and international employers who partner with us.
1908: Establishment of the UCD Faculty of Commerce. One of the first faculties formed with the establishment of the National University of Ireland
1964: First in Europe to offer a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree
1970: Faculty of Commerce moved from Earlsfort Terrace to Belfield
1991: The first full-time MBA was introduced and the graduate business school was located to its current campus in Blackrock and named UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School
2000: The school became Ireland’s first world-ranked school (Financial Times) and joins the CEMS network, a global alliance of academic, corporate institutions and NGOs jointly delivering business education
2002: The School becomes the first school in Ireland to receive triple-crown accreditation from the awarding bodies in the US, UK and Europe (AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS). The new undergraduate Quinn School building was officially opened on the Belfield campus
The new undergraduate Quinn School building was officially opened on the Belfield campus
2007: Centre for Executive Education opens at UCD Smurfit School
2012: The school was invited to be a founding member of GNAM (Global Network of Advanced Management), a partnership of international business schools initiated by Yale School of Management.
2014: UCD Smurfit School celebrates 50 years of the MBA. The School also joins PIM (Partnership in International Management) and signs the UN-back Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME)
2016: UCD Smurfit School celebrates 25 years since the opening of its dedicated campus in Blackrock
2019: The new wing at UCD Quinn School is opened - UCD Moore Centre for Business