Class of 2020 BSc & PhD graduation
On the 2nd of September 2020, SBBS celebrated the graduation of the Class of 2020 as students from our five undergraduate degrees and two PhD degrees were conferred that day. The school held a virtual reception through a live zoom webinar, with the new graduates tuning in from Ireland and abroad. The event included the awarding of medals by the Heads of Subjects to the top performing students in each subject area.
Prof Wim Meijer, Head of School, opened the reception by congratulating the new graduates on their fantastic achievement.
Head of School Prof Wim Meijer at the virtual graduation event
Heads of Subjects with Prof Meijer and Prof O'Connor
Prof John O'Connor, Head of Teaching & Learning, also congratulated the students and introduced each of the Heads of Subjects as they awarded the medals to the top performing students in their subject.
The medal winners were as follows:
- Regan Medal for Pharmacology: Ekaterina Gorbacheva & Ying Ling Dee, medals presented by Prof Orina Belton, Head of Pharmacology
- Hussey Award for Microbiology: Léon Maughan, medal presented by Dr Tadhg Ó'Cróinín, Head of Microbiology
- Neuroscience Medal: John O' Connell, medal presented by Associate Prof Oliver Blacque, Head of Neuroscience
- Genetics Medal: Louise Ryan, medal presented by Dr Niamh O'Sullivan, Head of Genetics
- Michael G. Harrington Medal for Biochemistry: Oluwanifemi D. Ogunbiyi, medal presented by Associate Prof Siobhán McClean, Head of Biochemistry
- Joy Carey Medal for Best Biochemistry Project: Oluwanifemi D. Ogunbiyi & Jia-Lynn Tham, medals presented by Associate Prof Siobhán McClean, Head of Biochemistry
We also celebrated the conferring that day of two PhD graduates Caoimhe O’Brien, PhD and Viktorija Bartkeviciute, PhD with their supervisors Prof Geraldine Butler and Prof Gethin McBean respectively, both sending their congratulations via zoom.