The Helga and Hugh Staunton Scholarship
The Helga and Hugh Staunton Scholarship was launched in 2004. The scholarship is valued at up to EUR5000 per annum and is awarded to a registered postgraduate student of proven academic excellence who wishes to pursue postgraduate studies in German at UCD. Applications for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in German will also be considered.
Terms and Conditions:
1. Applicants must be resident in Ireland and registered for a postgraduate programme in German at UCD (taught MA in German, Master by research, PhD), at the time of taking up the scholarship. Applicants for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in German may also be considered.
2. The Helga and Hugh Staunton Scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis. Applicants must have an excellent academic track record and they must hand in a written application with the following supporting documentation: a) a curriculum vitae, b) academic transcripts, c) a description of their research project d) two supporting references.
3. Scholarships holders are required to acknowledge the award in any publications that arise from the scholarship period (MA thesis, PhD thesis, postdoctoral research publications).
4. Awards made to MA students are for one year and may not be extended.
5. If an award is made to a PhD student, it may be renewed for two further years after the completion of year one, provided that the PhD student has made sufficient progress. A progress report and a supporting reference from the supervisor will be required.
6. Awards made to Postdoctoral Fellows are for one year only. The Postdoctoral Fellow is expected to have a well-defined research project which must be complete during the Fellowship period.
7. The successful candidate is expected to actively participate in the departmental research colloquium. PhD scholarship holders and postdoctoral fellows may be asked to give a paper on their research during the scholarship period.
8. It is within the discretion of the German subject to split the scholarship between two suitable candidates.
Deadline for applications 2017/18: Monday September 11th
Please send electronic copies of your application documents to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Your application should comprise the following:
- A curriculum vitae
- Academic transcripts
- A description of your research project of ca. 600-800 words
- Two supporting academic references.