Medications with Different Licensing Rules in Ireland 

1. Drugs used for treating ADD/ADHD.

Some medications used in Canada and the USA are not licensed here and the use of others must be under the direction of a Psychiatrist with a knowledge of ADD/ADHD. You will need to access this privately as there is a very limited public service for adults. Costs for a consultation with a Psychiatrist vary from €200 for a first visit. A full assessment for ADD/ADHD costs significantly more.

You should bring documentation from your treating Physician with confirmation of your diagnoses. The Psychiatrist cannot prescribe unless you bring the written evidence of your diagnoses of ADD/ADHD.

2. Roaccutane used for the treatment of Acne needs to be under the direction of a consultant dermatologist. You will need to access this service privately as the waiting list for public patients is very long. Costs vary.

3. Immunotherapy by injections for allergy. This needs to be under the direction of a doctor with skills in the management of this treatment and you will need to access this treatment privately. This service cannot be administered in the Student Health Service. 

4. Students attending any Irish University and taking Xolair (Omalizumab) may not be able to continue this treatment while here. It would be advisable that students complete their treatment until it is completed in their home country. 

Information for Overseas Students: FAQ

Q1. I am from the USA and I will be studying in UCD for the academic year. Can I attend the public hospital there if I become unwell during my time there?

Answer: Students from outside the EU who are attending for a full academic year are treated in the same way as an Irish resident and are eligible for the same health services as an Irish resident. Charges apply for attendance at Accident & Emergency and a daily charge applies for inpatients.

Q2. I am from Canada and will be attending UCD for an academic term, can I attend the public hospital if I am unwell?

Answer: Students and other visitors from outside the EU who will be in Ireland for less than a year as not ordinarily a resident in Ireland and must pay the full economin cost if they need to use the health services.

Q3. I am from France and will be studying in Ireland for one year, do I have to pay for health services?

Answer: Students from EU member states and Switzerland are entitled to emergency services under the PUBLIC system if they have a European Health Insurance Card with them. You should apply before you leave home for this card. Please note that the card only covers attendance at public facilites and general practitioners who are part of the scheme and does not cover private care. The Student Health Service does not have a GMS contract and cannot facilitate medical cards or EHIC cards. 

Q4. I have private insurance; can I use this when I attend the doctor?

Answer: You need to check with your insurance compay exactly what they cover. You will need to pay for your care at the time of service and claim back from your insurance company.

Q5. I am on treatment for an ongoing condition, can I continue this treatment in Ireland?

Answer: This depends on what treatment you are on. Some drugs are not licensed in Ireland or special rules may apply to prescribing them.


Visiting / Summer Students

Visiting students on summer courses may avail of the UCD Student Health Service when there are appointments available. Fees apply and the service cannot accept EHIC cards in lieu of payment.

Students must be over the age of 17 to attend our service. 

Students with EHIC cards may attend a local GP. Please see for further information and a list of participating doctors.

The consultation fee for visiting students is €50.