Identity Statement for Irish Packing Case Makers Trade Union

  • Reference code: IE UCD TU26
  • Title: Records of the Irish Packing Case Makers Trade Union
  • Dates: 1890 -1974
  • Level of description: Fonds
  • Extent: 13 boxes
  • Context
  • Content and Structure
  • Conditions of Access and Use

Instiutional History

The Irish Packing Case Makers Trade Union were originally a branch organisation of the National Union of Packing Case Makers, London. IT was called the City of Dublin Packing Case Makers Trade Union and was established in 1872.The Dublin Branch sent contributions to London during this time. From 2 January to 16 October 1943 the Dublin Branch ceased to send contributions to the National Union. This was because the National Union offered to make a grant of 20/- per member to the Dublin branch, which was to relieve the Union of any more responsibility, financial or otherwise on behalf of its Dublin members.

The offer was refused and eventually an offer of £250 was accepted, although the sum was considered inadequate. This was partly because some of the Dublin members were in arrears of contributions, and this placed the branch in a delicate position when dealing with the Head Office. 

The Dublin Union was based at 41 York Street. From 6 October 1952 the Union moved to a new head office at 44 Lower Gardiner Street. In the same year the title of the Union was revised. It became the Irish Packing Case Makers, Nailing Machinists and Box Makers Trade Union (IPCM NM & BMTU). It's members were those engaged in packing case making, box making, repairing of boxes, working of nail machines, wiring machines, stitching machines (wire or fasteners), hinging machines, stapling machines and timber printing machines. 

At a special general meeting on 20 December 1964 the IPCM NM & BMTU was dissolved with the written consent of three quarters of its members in full benefit. Members of the Union voted to amalgamate with the Irish National Union of Woodworkers (INUW).

Archival History

This collection was deposited in UCD Archives by the Irish Labour History Society on 30 June 1982.

Scope and Content

Rule books, annual reports, acts and agreements, lists of members, membership cards, meeting attendance, ballot papers, minute books, financial administration, contribution cards, accounts, rates for apprentices, correspondence with other unions, with individual firms, the Labour Court, Department of Industry and Commerce and members.

  • Access: Available by appointment to holders of a UCD Archives reader's ticket. Produced for consultation in original format. Original material will be retrieved at 11am and 2pm only.
  • Language: English
  • Finding aid: Descriptive catalogue
Top