Identity Statement for Irish Municipal Employees Trade Union
- Reference code: IE UCDA TU10
- Title: Records of the Irish Municipal Employees Trade Union
- Dates: 1918-1972
- Level of description: Fonds
- Extent: 5 boxes
In the second half of the 19th century Dublin Corporation employees formed a union under the Guild of St Thomas called the United Corporation Workmen of Dublin Trades Union. The Union was formally registered on 1 September 1907 and when the name changed to the Irish Municipal Employees Trade Union (IMETU), it re-registered on 6 November 1918.
The Corporation provided many and varying types of services, housing schemes, waterworks, street maintenance, sewerage and waste disposal to name a few. As a consequence IMETU membership encompassed a diverse number of occupations ranging from 'Shift Waste Water Inspector' to 'Destructorman' and the 'Catchpit Cleaning Gang'. Membership increased from 1,379 in 1907 to 2,912 in 1979.
This collection was deposited in UCD Archives by the Irish Municipal Employees Trade Union.
Administrative records (1923 - 1972): minute books, office diaries, wage negotiation files, financial records, cash books, members accounts.