As part of UCD School of History there are a wide range of taught and research programmes at graduate level. These programmes reflect the breadth of our disciplines and research activity.
Our Graduate Research programmes (Masters by Research & PhD) provide you with the opportunity to engage in supervised research on a topic of current interest in one of the disciplines of the School. You should have a strong background and proven ability in the relevant discipline. If you are interested in pursuing this option we would advise you to familiarize yourself with the Research in the School and to contact prospective supervisors among the academic staff.
Taught Masters Programmes
A Masters Programme in the History of Welfare & Medicine in Society is available in the School of History and Archives at UCD. (Apply here). This programme is designed for high calibre graduates who want to pursue an innovative history MA degree. It is suitable for graduates with a BA degree or a primary degree in the Humanities or in a cognate field such as medicine or nursing. While some background in the history of medicine and welfare is helpful, it is not mandatory.
What will I learn?
The MA is designed to enable students to engage at a high level with critical debates within the history of medicine and welfare from the early modern period to the twentieth century.
- You will acquire the practical and conceptual skills needed for an academic and non-academic workplace.
- You will develop an understanding of the importance of the history of medicine and welfare in Ireland and internationally, and its contribution to the field of social, gender, and post-colonial history.
- You will also develop an insight into patients’ experiences of illness throughout history and of the relationship between history and the development of current health policy.
- Through the development of presentations skills, the peer-review of students’ work and engaging in lively intellectual debates, you will develop core skills for the workplace.
- You will graduate with a MA from a leading international School of History, and from a centre of excellence in medical history giving you a competitive advantage.