The ALC offers two graduate courses in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): the Graduate Diploma in TESOL and the MA in TESOL. For further information, please contact the TESOL administrator here.
"The MA TESOL programme is designed to fit the needs of teachers. The course combined theory and practical research that allowed students to gain knowledge of the current research and teaching practices in the field and put them into practice. As a secondary teacher from the US, I really appreciated that all of the assignments and tasks allowed me to pursue areas of interest that were relevant and applicable to my teaching role. A major takeaway from this course was the emphasis on being a reflective practitioner—through collaboration, reflection, and research, I will continue to learn far beyond this course." Carolyn - MA TESOL Student 2018/19
UCD Applied Language Centre (ALC) offers an extensive programme of Global Language Electives to students across the University.
IMPORTANT: Each language is worth 5 credits.
Languages available include: Arabic, Chinese, English (for general and academic purposes), French, German, Introduction to English Language Teaching, Irish Sign Language, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swahili. These languages are offered at several stages of proficiency.
If this page does not answer your questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Choose a Language - a list of elective language modules with information on levels, semester, time, language, etc.
- Find your Language Level - information to help you make a preliminary assessment of your level
- Module Structure & Assessment - course schedules, resources, assessment methods and periods, etc.
UCD ALC has developed an international reputation for its English language programmes since its establishment in 1989. It has developed a range of areas of expertise in teaching and pedagogy. We have a team of highly trained and experienced teachers who are engaged in continuous development of our curricula. UCD ALC provides a wide range of English language courses throughout the year.
- In-Sessional English Modules - English for Academic Purposes Modules for UCD students
- Pre-Sessional Programmes - Help you to meet the required level of English for entry to UCD
- Summer English Programmes - Intensive English courses held during the summer months
- English for Academic Studies - Year-round courses with optional IELTS preparation course