The ALC offers two graduate courses in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): the Graduate Diploma in TESOL and the MA in TESOL. For further information, please contact the TESOL administrator here.
"The MA TESOL programme helped me to reflect on my previous years of teaching experience and added valuable, up to date theories in second language pedagogy which I can apply in my daily work. The lecturers were supportive at all times throughout both the modules and the final thesis, and a collegial atmosphere encouraged an enriching intercultural dialogue between all those participating in the programme. This led to increased insights into the topics being discussed, as each of us approached them from our own lived experience. What I appreciated most was a step by step guidance into research methods whereby we were equipped with a solid foundation to allow us to embark on further research." Eva - MA TESOL Student 2016/17
UCD Applied Language Centre (ALC) offers an extensive programme of Global Language Electives to students across the University.
IMPORTANT: Each language is worth 5 credits.
Languages available include: Arabic, Chinese, English (for general and academic purposes), French, German, Introduction to English Language Teaching, Irish Sign Language, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Swahili. These languages are offered at several stages of proficiency.
If this page does not answer your questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Choose a Language - a list of elective language modules with information on levels, semester, time, language, etc.
- Find your Language Level - information to help you make a preliminary assessment of your level
- Module Structure & Assessment - course schedules, resources, assessment methods and periods, etc.
UCD ALC has developed an international reputation for its English language programmes since its establishment in 1989. It has developed a range of areas of expertise in teaching and pedagogy. We have a team of highly trained and experienced teachers who are engaged in continuous development of our curricula. UCD ALC provides a wide range of English language courses throughout the year.
- Pre-Sessional Programmes - Help you to meet the required level of English for entry to UCD
- Summer English Programmes - Intensive English courses held during the summer months
- English for Academic Studies - Year-round courses with optional IELTS preparation course