Explore UCD

UCD Home >

UCD beat NUIG to reclaim Sigerson Cup title

Watch above: Full highlights of the Sigerson Cup final between UCD and NUIG.

Posted February 26, 2018

UCD’s third Sigerson Cup final in three years ended in victory after Tipperary’s Liam Casey scored two late points to reclaim the title they lost in 2017.

The Sigerson Cup is the premier trophy in intervarsity Gaelic football. UCD are the competition’s record winners having claimed the title 34 times but endured a 20-year drought before their win in 2016.

NUI Galway (NUIG) were UCD’s opponents in this year’s final and opened up a 0-5 to 0-1 lead in the early stages of the game. They nearly pulled away even further when Damien Comer struck at goal only to see his effort hit the post.

University College Dublin collected the ball, countered downfield and picked out Conor McCarthy on the 20-metre line. The Monaghan man turned with his back to goal, beat two defenders and hit a left-foot shot into the far corner.

In the space of 16 seconds, UCD had gone from a potential seven-point deficit to a draw themselves within one of NUIG. The two teams shared seven points between them to go in level at the break at 0-08 to 1-05.

UCD opened the scoring in the second half with a point from Tipperary’s Casey. They had further opportunities to open a comfortable lead but their errant finishing was punished by an NUIG goal in the 39th minute.

Another goal from NUIG and several points from UCD left the game tightly poised at 2-08 to 1-09 with ten minutes to go. It was during this final period that Casey stepped up to score a brace of points and overcome the deficit.

A further point each from McCarthy and Con O’Callaghan was met with a solitary score from NUIG and UCD reclaimed the Sigerson Cup to cement their status as the most successful team in the competition’s history.

UCD scorers: Conor McCarthy 1-6 (0-3f), Liam Casey 0-3, Eoin Lowry 0-2, Evan O'Carroll 0-1, Con O'Callaghan 0-1

NUI Galway scorers: Adam Gallagher 1-3 (0-3f), Sean Kelly 1-0, Damien Comer 0-3, Enda Tierney 0-3 (0-1f)

UCD team:  Charlie Manton (Tipperary); Peter Healy (Antroim), Cillian O'Shea (Dublin), Conor Mullally (Dublin); Luke Fortune (Cavan), Jimmy Feehan (Tipperary), Stephen Coen (Mayo); Barry O'Sullivan (Kerry), Jack Barry (Kerry); Liam Casey (Tipperary), Conor McCarthy (Monaghan), Brian Byrne (Kildare); Eoin Lowry (Laois), Evan O'Carroll (Laois), Con O'Callaghan (Dublin). 

Subs: Brian O'Seanachain (Kerry) for Fortune (h/t), Tom Hayes for O'Carroll (58).

NUI Galway team: Tadhg O'Malley (Galway); Kevin McDonnell (Sligo), Sean Mulkerrin (Galway), Stephen Brennan (Mayo); Gerard O'Kelly-Lynch (Sligo), Ruairi Greene (Galway), Colm Kelly (Donegal); Cein D'Arcy (Galway), Peter Cooke (Galway); Enda Tierney (Galway), Owen Gallagher (Antrim), Adam Gallagher (Mayo); Sean Kelly (Galway), Damien Comer (Galway), Brian Donovan (Limerick). 

Subs: Ronan O'Toole (Westmeath) for Kelly (34), Kieran Molloy (Galway) for Greene (39), Eoin Finnerty (Galway) for Owen Gallagher (44), Ryan Forde (Galway) for Donovan (46).

Referee: Joe McQuillan (Cavan).

By: Jonny Baxter, digital journalist, UCD University Relations