Professor Susan Quinn receives prestigious ICI Annual Award for Chemistry
Posted 25 October, 2023
The Institute of Chemistry of Ireland has awarded Professor Susan Quinn its prestigious Annual Award for Chemistry - one of Ireland's top accolades for those working in the industry.
The researcher from the UCD School of Chemistry was named a recipient of the ICI award in recognition of her significant contribution to the advancement of chemistry.
A tenured member of faculty at UCD since 2012, Professor Quinn was awarded the RSC Rita and John Cornforth award in 2016, jointly with Professors John Kelly (TCD) and Christine Cardin (Reading University), for their structural work on DNA-transition metal complexes, proof of the origins of the "light-switch" effect and its implications for the mechanisms of DNA damage.
She is a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Institute of Chemistry of Ireland, and leads the Quinn Group at the UCD School of Chemistry.
First inaugurated in 2005, the ICI Annual Award for Chemistry is given to a practising chemist who has made a significant contribution to the advancement of chemistry and has considerably raised the profile of the discipline through both the excellence of their work and their ability to communicate effectively and lucidly.
Since 2007, its recipients present a series of lectures to promote the benefits of chemistry within twelve months of receiving the award.
These public lectures are termed the 'Eva Philbin Public Lecture Series' in memory of the late Professor Eva Philbin, formerly the head of the Chemistry department in UCD, and also a former President of the Institute of Chemistry of Ireland.
ICI Award for Chemistry Recipients:
- 2023 Professor Susan Quinn
- 2022 Professor Carmel Breslin
- 2021 Professor Paula Colavita
- 2020 Professor Declan Gilheany
- 2019 Professor Declan McCormack
- 2018 Professor Anita Maguire
- 2017 Professor Donal O’Shea
- 2016 Professor John Sodeau
- 2015 Professor Michael J. Zaworotko
- 2014 Professor Thorfinnur Gunnlaugsson
- 2013 Professor Herbert W. Roeske
- 2012 Professor Lesley Yellowlees
- 2011 Doctor Malachy McCann
- 2009 Professor Martyn Poliakoff
- 2008 Professor Peter Atkins
- 2007 Doctor Mary Archer
- 2006 Professor A. Prasanna de Silva
- 2005 Professor David A. Leigh
By: David Kearns, Digital Journalist / Media Officer, UCD University Relations
To contact the UCD News & Content Team, email: email@example.com