RCPI awards UCD graduate Dr Ned Quirke prestigious Reuben Harvey Prize
Posted 27 October, 2023
UCD graduate Dr Ned Quirke has been named among the recipients of this year’s prestigious Reuben Harvey Prize – given each year by the RCPI to the students who achieve the highest marks in their class for final year examinations in Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics.
The former UCD medic is one of seven newly qualified doctors recognised by the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland at a special ceremony during its annual symposium.
The 2023 winners of the Reuben Harvey Prize:
- Dr Barra O’Byrne, University of Limerick
- Dr Dahhóg Boyle, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Dr Lynne Thornton, Queen’s University Belfast
- Dr Evan O Flaherty, University College Galway
- Dr Jessica Murphy, University College Cork
- Dr Ruth Walsh, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Ned Quirke, University College Dublin
The Reuben Harvey prize was established in 1882 in memory of Dr Reuben Joshua Harvey, anatomist and physiologist who died in 1881 at the age of just 36, from typhoid fever.
A popular teacher whose reputation attracted many students to his classes at the Carmichael College of Medicine and Trinity College, Dr Harvey also held the position of Assistant Physician to the House of Industry Hospital, Physician to the Cork Street Fever Hospital, and the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat.
By: David Kearns, Digital Journalist / Media Officer, UCD University Relations
To contact the UCD News & Content Team, email: email@example.com