Essay Advice Checklist for Students
(Updated September 2018)
- Your total word count is no more than 10% above the required word count.
- You’ve proofread for grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- You’ve included page numbers.
- Your essay is double spaced.
- You’ve used one of these fonts in 12pt size:
- Times New Roman
- Titles are italicized or “in quotation marks” as appropriate (see the MLA guide).
- Your quotations are correctly formatted.
- Your electronic submission is in .docx format, and not .pdf.
- Works Cited section included at the end of the essay or assignment.
- Page numbers (or equivalent) of quotations from primary and secondary texts included in brackets immediately after the quote is used.
- All of the work cited in your Works Cited has actually been used in the essay and cited in-text.
- Full details (author, title, publisher, date, place) of all materials used, have been included in the Works Cited.