Top security tips
- Your UCD Connect Password should be unique and strong. Never share your University password with anyone, including members of IT Services.
- Use a PassPHRASE rather than a PassWORD.
- Use Multi-Factor Authentication on systems that support it.
- Change your password immediately if you think your IT account is at risk.
- Apply the latest operating system and application security updates when they are available.
- Use anti-virus software to protect all computers and devices. Download Sophos endpoint protection for Windows and Mac.
- Encrypt your device, files and always send confidential information securely.
- Protect your device using a strong password or pin. Set your device to auto lock when inactive.
- Only download and install software or "Apps" from reputable sources that you trust.
- Use a trusted Wi-Fi such as UCD Eduroam or UCD's staff VPN (Staff Only) when working remotely.
- Backup your files frequently to help protect information against accidental loss or ransomware.
- Avoid saving confidential University information to a device including removable storage devices, such as USB keys.
- Beware of Phishing emails and Social Engineering scams. Always verify web links and never open unexpected attachments.
- Use the official Gmail web and mobile app when accessing University email. Gmail's advanced malware and phishing protection features are bypassed when accessing University email using third party email clients or App's such as Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone Mail App, etc.
- Only use your UCD email address for University purposes. Use a personal email address when creating social, personal or domestic online accounts.
- Run a Google Security check-up today to check recent account activity and find out who else has access to your University information.
- Encrypt confidential files before emailing them. Send the decryption password by separate means, either by text, in person or over the phone.
- If you are concerned about an IT Security Incident, please contact the IT helpdesk by emailing email@example.com or call 2700.