Information is like money; Value it, Protect it
- Your UCD Connect Password should be unique, strong and never shared with anyone, including members of IT Services.
- Use a PassPHRASE rather than a PassWORD.
- Enable Multi-Factor Authentication on systems that support it.
- Only use the Gmail web and mobile app for accessing University email. Gmail includes additional security features that helps to protect UCD staff from malicious emails including phishing, spoofing and malware. These features are bypassed on all other email clients such as Outlook, Mozilla, etc.
- Only use your UCD email address for University purposes. Use a personal email address when creating accounts on social, personal and domestic websites.
- Beware of phishing emails. Always verify links and never open unexpected attachments.
- Encrypt confidential files before emailing them. Send the decryption password separately, either by text, in person or over the phone.
- Support for Windows 7 ends on the 14th January 2020. Update or replace your machine with Windows 10 Professional now.
- Apply the latest operating system and application updates when they are available.
- Use anti-virus software to protect all machines and devices. Download Sophos endpoint protection for Windows and Mac.
- Encrypt your device, files and always send confidential information securely.
- Lock your device using a strong password or pin.
- Use a trusted Wi-Fi such as UCD eduroam or UCD's staff VPN when working remotely.
How to contact us
- If you are concerned about an IT security incident, please contact the IT helpdesk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 2700.