Medical Graduates Association Reunion 2019
The School of Medicine was delighted to welcome our alumni back to UCD for the 2019 Medical Graduates Association Reunion. This event is a key highlight of the School of Medicine calendar. The 2019 reunion took place on Friday 17th May 2019 and celebrated the Medicine Classes of 1959, 1964, 1969, 1974, 1979, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1999, 2009 and 2018.
The reunion included a series of presentations from alumni followed by tours of the UCD Health Sciences Centre and the UCD Student Centre. The afternoon symposium was followed by a Gala Dinner in UCD’s O’Reilly Hall. This was the first time the Gala Dinner has been held in O’Reilly Hall since 2013 and attendees were delighted to be back on the Belfield campus.
During the dinner the Medical Graduates Association Distinguished Graduate Awards were presented to two of our previous Deans of Medicine, Prof Muiris FitzGerald (Class of 1964) and Prof William Powderly (Class of 1979).
The Alumni talks were chaired by Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe, President of UCD Medical Graduates Association and UCD Full Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at the National Maternity Hospital. Professor Michael Keane, Dean of Medicine and Head of UCD School of Medicine, welcomed our alumni back to UCD and introduced each speaker. The symposium consisted of four alumni talks and a panel discussion on the topic of Sports and Medicine.
From left to right: Dr Declan O'Callaghan, Assoc Prof Pat Felle, Prof Fionnuala McAuliffe, Prof Michael Keane, Prof Muiris FitzGerald, Dr Mick Molloy, Prof Donal O'Shea, Dr Susan FitzGerald, Dr Matt Sadlier
Speakers at UCD Alumni Reunion 2019:
- Professor Muiris X. FitzGerald – Former Dean of Medicine, University College Dublin (Class of 1964)
- Dr Margaret O’Donnell – Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon, Blackrock Clinic and St Vincent’s University Hospital (Class of 1984)
- Professor Donal O’Shea – Consultant Endocrinologist, St Vincent’s University Hospital & St Columcille’s Hospital, Adjunct Full Clinical Professor, University College Dublin (Class of 1989)
- Dr Susan FitzGerald – Consultant Microbiologist, St Vincent’s University Hospital & St Columcille’s Hospital (Class of 1994)
Sports and Medicine Panel Discussion:
- Dr Jack McCaffrey – Intern in Our Lady of Lourdes, Drogheda (Class of 2018)
- Dr Christine Quinlan – Higher Surgical Trainee in plastic and reconstructive surgery (Class of 2009)
- Dr Joanne Cuddihy – Irish 400m record holder, European finalist, Olympic and World semi-finalist athlete (Class of 2009)
- Dr James Ryan – Consultant for Mater Private in Cork and doctor for Limerick Hurling team (Class of 1999)
- Dr Diarmuid Smith – Consultant endocrinologist in Beaumont Hospital, current Honorary Secretary for the Irish Endocrine Society and doctor for the Dublin Senior Football team (Class of 1994)
- Dr Pat O’Neill – Consultant in Orthapaedic and Sports Medicine at the Mater Private Hospital and Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital and University Lecturer in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine at Trinity College Dublin (Class of 1974)
Attendees of the afternoon symposium also had the opportunity to attend tours of the Health Sciences Centre, which has been home to the UCD School of Medicine since 2006, the Charles Institute of Dermatology and the state of the art UCD Student Centre. Lunch was served in the Kevin Barry Gallery, which is home to the historic Kevin Barry Memorial Window by Richard King of Harry Clarke Stained Glass Studio. This artwork was commissioned by classmates of Irish rebel Kevin Barry, a first year UCD medical student who was executed at the age of 18 for his part in the War of Independence. First unveiled in 1934 by President of Ireland, Eamonn de Valera in the School’s original Earlsfort Terrace home, the window was relocated in 2011 to UCD Belfield.
Over 340 guests attended a gala reunion dinner in UCD’s O’Reilly Hall. During the dinner the 2019 Medical Graduates Association Distinguished Graduate Awards were presented to Professor Muiris FitzGerald and Prof William Powderly. The citation for Professor FitzGerald was read by Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe, who described Professor FitzGerald’s substantial and invaluable contribution to the field of respiratory medicine, his mentorship of the medicine students and strong leadership of the UCD School of Medicine. The citation for Professor Powderly was read by his classmate Prof Tim McDonnell, consultant in respiratory medicine, St Vincent’s Private Hospital. Prof McDonnell reflected on Professor Powderly’s commitment to research, particularly HIV related clinical research, his tenure as Dean of Medicine and his friendship with his classmates since medical school. These awards were presented by Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe, President of UCD Medical Graduates Association.
Prof Fionnuala McAuliffe and Prof Muiris FitzGerald
Prof Fionnuala McAuliffe, Prof William Powderly and Prof Tim McDonnell
A selection of photographs from the 2019 reunion can be found on the UCD School of Medicine Flickr Page.
Following such a highly successful event, the School will shortly commence planning for the 2020 Alumni Reunion which will feature the classes of 1960, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1995, 2000, 2010 and 2019. Further details will be posted on our Reunions Page in due course.