Candidates for this degree are required to be admitted by the School of Medicine on the recommendation of the Professor. Candidates who have not graduated in this University may be admitted if suitably qualified.
No candidate can be allowed to enter on a course of study and research for the Degree of PhD unless he/she has reached a high honours standard at the examination for the primary degree or presented such other evidence as will satisfy the Professor and the School of his/her fitness.
- The candidates shall pursue research for a period of nine terms but the Academic Council may accept a period of six terms in the case of a graduate whose attainments justify such shorter course.
- The thesis must normally be prepared under the supervision of the Professor, but the School may, on the recommendation of the Professor, assign another member of the staff to supervise the candidate's research, under the Professor's general direction. The thesis must be prepared in the University, unless permission is given to the candidate to work elsewhere under the Professor's general direction. Such permission will only be given to candidates who have attended courses in the University for twelve terms before admission to the course for the PhD.
- Candidates may enter for examination in January of the Year in which their work is to be examined; the time of examination to be arranged as may be convenient to the candidates and the examiners. If the thesis is not presented before the 1st February following, the candidate must re-enter.
- Candidates are required to take an oral examination on the subject matter of their thesis.
- This degree will not be awarded unless the examiners report that the work is worthy of publication, as a whole or in part.
- Candidates for the PhD Degree will be allowed six years from the date of registration in which to complete their degree. Candidates must register and pay appropriate fees for each year of PhD study. Please refer to the UCD PhD Regulations and Guidelines for details.
- To apply for this programme, please ensure that you have fulfilled all of the required regulations.
- Complete the Application Form and return to:
Telephone: +353 1 716 6585/ 6600
For September Registration: Application deadline is 30th July
For January Registration: Application deadline is 30th November
For May Registration: Application deadline is 30th March
Please feel free to contact us via the above address/phone/fax/email should you require further information.
Some useful links
- Thesis submission deadlines
- Academic Policy; Theses in Graduate Research Programmes
- Academic Regulations
- RMP/DSP Report Forms (College of Health and Agricultural Sciences)
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Examiner Nomination Exam Committee Nomination Form 2020/2021 please return to email@example.com