EDI (Equality Diversity & Inclusion)
Welcome Message from Head of School, Professor Catherine Blake
The School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Sports Science is made up of several different disciplines and subjects and we are privileged to enjoy a community that is diverse and multicultural. Our staff and students come from diverse cultural and social backgrounds, bringing different life experiences and perspectives. Close to 60% of our students are enrolled to undergraduate degrees, diplomas and certificates, with the other 40% engaged in postgraduate taught and research programmes; and approximately 16% of our students are from outside of the EU. The school staff includes people working in administrative, clinical, faculty, research and support roles, but we also have a very valuable expert network of external lecturers and adjunct staff who contribute to our programmes. Key also are our clinical and industry collaborators, who partner with us to provide work based education for our students and cooperate with us in research.
We are committed to widening participation and access to university education in our school and promoting inclusivity in how we design our programmes and assess learning. We also strive to embed civic engagement, global citizenship and service learning within our clinical education and community outreach activities. Our goal is to make our school a good place to work and study. Diversity of our school community is a key resource as we aspire to providing an inclusive and excellent educational experience.
We all share the responsibility of nurturing our school community by respecting the needs and experiences of those working and studying alongside us. As part of our School's commitment to the principles of equality, diversity, and inclusion, we have created these pages to bring together practical resources aimed at supporting staff and students in their time at SPHPSS.
Introducing Our School EDI Committee
School EDI Group Aims
The School EDI Group has responsibility for ensuring compliance with University EDI policies and procedures, implementing EDI-related activities within the School and engaging in collaborative initiatives with other Schools across the College of Health and Agricultural Sciences and UCD.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee 22/23
- Prof. Akke Vellinga - Professor, Associate Dean for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI), Chair of EDI Committee
- Prof. Massimiliano Ditroilo - Assistant Professor
- Prof. Caitriona Cunningham - Associate Professor
- Ms Karen Ryan - School Educational Technologist
- Dr Catherine Phillips - Assistant Professor, Ad Astra Fellow
- Ms Aileen Ward - Director of the School Office
- Dr Clare Reynolds - Assistant Professor, Ad Astra Fellow
- Ms Anna Scully – Student Advisor
- Ms Catherine Oluwadotun Balogun - Graduate Student
- Ms Sandra Chiamaka Chimezie - Graduate Student
- Ms Rini Bhatnagar - PhD Student
- Ms Jennifer Caffrey - Engagement Manager
- Ms Sajja Singh - Graduate Student
- Mr David O'Dwyer - Programme and Operations Manager
- Ms Louise O'Brien – Senior Executive Assistant