UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School receives AMBA re-accreditation
By Beth Gormley, UCD College of Business, PR and Communications Manager
The UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School at University College Dublin has officially received re-accreditation from the Association of MBAs (AMBA), one of the world’s leading authorities on post-graduate business education, demonstrating its continuing commitment to excellence in management education.
Upon receiving AMBA accreditation, all current MBA students and recent MBA alumni of UCD Smurfit School are invited to join AMBA’s global member community of more than 60,000 students and alumni in more than 150 countries on a free basis, for networking, thought leadership, career development, and a variety of benefits.
Accreditation from the Association of MBAs (AMBA) represents the highest standard of achievement in post-graduate business education. Its rigorous assessment criteria ensure that only the highest-calibre programmes which demonstrate the best standards in teaching, curriculum, and student interaction achieve Association of MBAs accreditation.
UCD Smurfit School sits within the UCD College of Business, one of six colleges that comprise the University. The School is located in Blackrock, Ireland. AMBA accredits the full-time MBA, the part-time EMBA and the modular EMBA at the Business School.
Members of AMBA’s accreditation panel, representing senior management at AMBA-accredited Business Schools globally, commended that the School’s continuing commitment to promoting the wellbeing and success of the Irish economy.
The panel also mentioned the exceptional pastoral support given to MBA students throughout both the programme itself and the application and enrolment process.
Finally, the panel noted that there had been successful pedagogic development, giving the example of the Empower, Connect and Create approach which they thought encapsulates the spirit and aspiration of the School.
Professor Tony Brabazon, Dean of UCD College of Business said: ‘In 2001, UCD Smurfit School was the first Irish institution to be awarded with AMBA accreditation and today’s announcement underscores our enduring dedication to delivering exceptional MBA programmes that deliver real and lasting impact for our students, as well as for the Irish and international business community. AMBA accreditation is an important external, independent, validation of the strength of our MBA programme and of our global MBA community, and we are proud to be announcing our reaccreditation for the next five years.'
AMBA accreditation is international in scope and reach, and AMBA works under the belief that accredited programmes should be of the highest standard and reflect changing trends and innovation in post-graduate management education. Its accreditation process reflects this commitment to fostering innovation, and demanding Business Schools to perform at the highest level continually.
Andrew Main Wilson, Chief Executive of the Association of MBAs and Business Graduates Association (BGA) said: ‘UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School at University College Dublin is an important part of our network of the top 2% of Business Schools globally. The Business School promotes innovation in teaching and learning, as well as in the care and wellbeing of its students. I look forward to continuing to work closely with this excellent School.’
For more information or interviews, please contact:
- Ellen Buchan, Insight, Content and PR Manager, AMBA & BGA –
- Beth Gormley, PR and Communications Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
About UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School
UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School is Ireland’s leading business school and research centre offering world-class business programmes that equip students to become impactful global business leaders. Accredited for more than 20 years, UCD Smurfit School is one of an elite group of schools worldwide to hold the ‘triple crown’ of accreditation from the three centres of business and academic excellence, EQUIS (Europe), AACSB (US) and AMBA (UK).
For over 20 years, academic programmes at UCD Smurfit School consistently rank among the world’s best and are accredited by the most internationally respected organisations including The Economist and The Financial Times. The Masters in International Management is ranked 3rd in the world and the school is ranked 23rd among leading European business schools by the Financial Times.
Engagement efforts have resulted in one of the world's top business school alumni communities with over 100,000 professionals around the globe in over 35 international chapters. Along with leading global/international academic administration, leadership derives from two prestigious advisory boards, the Irish Advisory Board and the North American Advisory Board.
UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School is one of four constituent parts of the UCD College of Business and offers postgraduate courses, including the MBA and a wide range of specialist business masters. UCD Smurfit School opened a campus solely dedicated to graduate business education in 1991 and grew most recently with a new centre for PhD research in 2017.
More information at www.smurfitschool.ie
Find a list of all AMBA accredited Schools here.
About AMBA & BGA
Spearheading excellence and trailblazing innovation, for more than 50 years the Association of MBAs (AMBA) has been the impartial authority on post-graduate management education. AMBA established that vision in 1967 and, in a volatile, uncertain world, it's as relevant today as it was then. We are committed to raising the profile and quality standards of business education internationally, for the benefit of Business Schools, students and alumni, employers, communities and society.
- Our accreditation service is the global standard for all MBA, DBA and master’s degrees, currently accrediting programmes from the top 2% of Business Schools in more than 75 countries.
- Our Research and Insight Centre produces a rich body of reports exploring global trends in the business education sector. This drives our global thought leadership and public affairs campaigns.
- We are the only professional membership association that connects MBA students and graduates, accredited Business Schools and MBA employers throughout the world.
- Through our members, AMBA is building an international force for good, championing best practice, responsible management and sustainability. Membership to AMBA means being part of an international community of peers with access to business strategy thought leadership, career advice and knowledge, and an MBA jobs portal.
- Our multi-award-winning events offer networking opportunities online and in person across all continents in association with international corporate partners and thought leaders exclusively for our members and accredited Business Schools.
The Business Graduates Association (BGA) is an international membership and accreditation body of world-leading and high-potential Business Schools that share a commitment for responsible management practices and lifelong learning, and that are looking to provide a positive impact on their students, communities and the economy as a whole. We offer:
- Quality assurance services to Business Schools and similar institutions, aimed at continuous improvement and positive impact to increase a Business School’s credibility and influence.
- Consultation and mentorship services to Business Schools to improve their marketing and admissions, programme design, alumni interaction, teaching methods, and career development services.
- Award-winning international events for Business School professionals, focused on continuous learning.
- Student and graduate membership, which includes social networking events worldwide, professional development tools, a Career Development Centre, and much more.
- Leading and award-winning content on responsible management, professional and personal growth, and influence via the Business Impact content hub.