Terms of Reference
School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics | Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Purpose and Function
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics (SLCL) Committee shall be responsible for promoting, mainstreaming and evaluating equality, diversity and inclusion related initiatives, policies and actions in the School in relation to employees and students.
Terms of Reference
- To promote the University equality, diversity and inclusion strategy throughout the School, ensuring that equality and diversity is a key consideration in all planning and development undertaken in the School;
- To develop and drive the School programme of work relating to equality, diversity and inclusion in line with University and College EDI Strategy and, working with key stakeholders, ensure that there is effective implementation across the School;
- To support the programme of work of the School in relation to Athena SWAN and Gender Equality Actions Plans;
- To highlight and communicate developments in national and international EDI related policy as advised by the College to the School;
- To make recommendations to the School Executive and the College EDI Committee on matters related to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion based on feedback received at School level;
- To offer advice to staff and students on the official channels in place for dealing with Equality, Diversity and Inclusion issues.
- To maintain and update the EDI School webpage regularly to provide clear information and advice at all times and to both employees and students.
The College Committee shall normally comprise of the following representatives:
- a Chair;
- at least a representative for each subject of the School (French, German, Italian, Linguistics, Spanish) and the School Office
- at least a PhD students’ representative
The Committee should aim to have gender representation of at least 40% of either gender and broad representation from all professional roles.
Term of Office
The term of office will normally be three years.
Conduct of Business
- The Committee shall meet at least four times a year
- The meetings shall be convened by the Chair with a minimum of seven days’ notice of a meeting
Last update November 2020