We are a multidisciplinary community of active researchers of all career stages and welcome new members from any relevant discipline with an interest in environmental research.
As a member-led Institute, the success of the UCD Earth Institute is based on an active and engaged membership. Members and their teams of postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers, technical and support staff are encouraged to contribute to the life of the Institute through their own academic endeavours as well as through being open to interdisciplinary collaboration and by contributing to events and programmes designed to enhance the profile and reputation of the Institute (e.g. keynote events, seminars, conferences etc.). Our aim is to ensure that members will actively support the mission and vision of the Institute and deliver high quality research outputs, while the Institute team will provide a level of support and expertise to assist them.
There are a number of specific benefits to Institute membership including:
- A vibrant programme of activities and events, providing opportunities to meet colleagues and develop new research ideas and activities
- Financial and logistical support of multidisciplinary activities that address Institute strategic priorities
- A training programme to support the career development of members and their teams
- Access to a network of expertise, mentorship opportunities, advice and supports
- Access to the technology platforms and laboratories curated by the Institute and its members
- Administrative support for Institute-related events or outreach activities
- Promotion of your research and associated activities through the Institute’s communication channels
- Searchable public profile on the Institute website
- Support from our Research Manager in identifying opportunities for external research funding, developing networks and proposals
- Open to all research-active UCD academic staff working in environment-related research in UCD
- Access to full range of membership benefits
- Our current Members
- Open to all postgraduate, postdoctoral, technical and administrative support staff working in environment-related research in UCD
- Access to Institute events, activities, training, networking and mentorship
- Open to visiting academics and others not employed by UCD to recognise contribution to the Institute
- Access to Institute events, activities and networking
- Our current Affiliate Members
Membership Application Policy & Guidelines
Institute Funding Opportunities
Institute Members, Associate Members and Affiliate Members are eligible to apply for funding through two Institute schemes:
- Strategic Priority Support Mechanism: Funding up to €10,000 is awarded to 2-4 multi-disciplinary teams per annum, supporting non-research costs for targeted projects that are topical, achievable and impactful.
- Small Responsive Funding Scheme: provides small awards of up to €700 for activities that are beneficial to the applicant and wider Institute community, including contributions to the costs for travel of the applicant, a team member or a visitor.
Additionally, our Research Manager Caitriona Devery is also available to provide support with external funding including identifying opportunities and developing applications.