When it comes to searching for a job, it’s best not to rely solely on one approach. Using a range of strategies will maximise your chances of bagging the job that you want. Here are our top tips for successfully managing your job search process:
- Become familiar with the top job search websites. You will find a range of high-quality graduate and internship opportunities advertised on MyCareer and gradireland.com.
- Bear in mind that there may be specific job sites for certain industries/skill areas; for example for social care/psychology/volunteer positions, the Activelink website is a good resource, while the Engineers Ireland Jobs Desk is useful for engineering roles. If you are a graduate research student you should also check out University Vacancies, Jobs.ac.uk and Euraxess.
- Sometimes it can be worth sending your CV and a cover letter to a company even if no specific job position is advertised. This is called a ‘speculative application’. gradireland has advice on how to go about writing speculative applications.
- The Careers Network organises and hosts hundreds of employer events and recruitment fairs on campus. These events are an excellent opportunity for you to meet potential employers.
2022/2023 Recruitment Fairs:
Science, Engineering & Technology Fair
Monday 3rd October 2022 (12-5pm)
Business, Finance & Management Fair
Tuesday 4th October 2022 (12-5pm)
Astra Hall, UCD Student Centre
Wednesday 5th October 2022 (1pm-4pm)
UCD Internship Fair
Tuesday 24th January 2023 (1pm-4pm)
UCD Michael Smurfit, Graduate Business School Spring & Internship Fair
UCD Michael Smurfit, Graduate Business School
Tuesday 7th of March 2023 (12pm - 4pm).
- Login to MyCareer for a full listing of upcoming recruitment events and check out our “5 minutes on Recruitment Fairs” video to help you prepare.
- If you are a graduate research student be sure to keep on your UCD email for regular emails from the Careers Network highlighting employment opportunities that might be of interest.
- LinkedIn can be a useful job search tool. Set up a profile and use the alumni search function to find out where graduates of your programme are working now.
- Build your network of people who may be able to help you identify opportunities and support you in your job search. Watch our “5 Minutes on Networking” video to find out how!