Student Advisory Service

Dedicated Student Adviser

UCD's dedicated Student Adviser for graduate research students is Mr Eamonn McHugh


  • Eamonn is dedicated to supporting graduate research students.

  • He can assist you to find pathways to deal with personal, social and emotional issues and can provide advice on UCD policies, procedure and services.

  • Eamonn brings with him experience working in researcher development, career development and counselling and psychotherapy and hopes to be able to further enhance the student experience through offering support and guidance to students at all stages of their graduate student journey.

  • Contact Eamonn at


The UCD Student Advisory Service acts as a point of contact, support and referral for all UCD students throughout their studies. Every academic programme in UCD has a dedicated Student Adviser who offers students time and space to explore issues of concern to them.  Student Advisers work closely with academic and administrative staff as well as with the other student support staff to ensure that each student’s experience at UCD is as fulfilling and enjoyable as possible.

See below for information on financial supports available; please contact Eamonn if you need to discuss your own situation

Financial Supports

Please be advised that the funding information may change from year to year.

As a student of University College Dublin, you are expected to have budgeted appropriately and sufficiently before starting your studies here. However, we recognise that financial problems can arise for a number of reasons. To allow for these circumstances, UCD offers opportunities for students to apply for financial assistance.

These schemes are funded by the Irish Government and part-funded by the HEA.  It should be noted that these funds cannot normally be used to pay for registration or tuition fees. 

If you are unsure whether or not you may be eligible for financial assistance from either the Student Support Fund or the Student Welfare Fund, please check out the Student Advisers website for details or contact your Student Adviser.