Explore UCD

UCD Home >

Study Abroad (Outgoing Students)

Ever thought of studying abroad during your degree?

The ERAMUS international student exchange programme enables you to spend a year studying history in a European university. On completion of your second year at UCD you transfer to the four-year BA International programme and spend a year abroad. History students can choose from a range of leading universities in ten different destination countries (see below). On return to Ireland you complete your final year in UCD.

Information on our Erasmus Opportunities and information meeting can be found in our

For more information on learn abroad you can visit the UCD Global page here.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me, Prof. Michael Staunton. My email address is michael.staunton@ucd.ie.

ERASMUS has many advantages. It enables you to improve your language skills, to study in a different university environment, and to learn to adapt to the culture of another country. It provides access to courses and areas of study that are not available in UCD. It enables you to mix with students from a wide variety of countries and backgrounds and to forge new friendships. Our returning students will tell you what an exciting - and sometime life-changing  - year they experienced.

Study on an ERASMUS exchange varies according to university and country. You will often find that the organisation and delivery of teaching differs from Ireland in certain respects. In some universities classes tend to be large and tutorials rare, while in others classes are much smaller than in UCD. In some countries there is a great deal of personal supervision; elsewhere there is less. You will need to develop your own study patterns and routines to fit in with the systems you encounter – but that is part of the challenge. If you are prepared to cope and to make your way in unfamiliar situations, you will find the year immensely positive and enjoyable. Students find ERASMUS challenging and immensely beneficial. Thinking of your future, beyond university, it is worth bearing in mind that employers are impressed by candidates who hold an International BA. This is because, apart from demonstrating your capability in a foreign language, it signals self-reliance, organisation and good communication skills.

What past Erasmus students have said about their experiences


The financial commitment of a year’s study abroad is difficult to predict in exact terms, as there are variations between countries, cities, and life styles. But there are certain common factors to consider. First you should be aware that the normal annual registration fees are payable in UCD for the period during which you are away. On the other hand you will have no fees to pay in the exchange university. In addition, the EU provides a useful Mobility Grant to all ERASMUS students. You are automatically entitled to this when you are accepted on an exchange. The grant varies from year to year and country to country, but the average is €1,500. Part of the grant (80%) is usually paid in September / October of the academic year in which you are abroad, and the remaining 20% in the following March / April. Your main other personal expenses are travel, accommodation and general living costs. These too vary from country to country.  You may seek further advice on all of this from UCD’s International Office. At the end of the day you will have to be prepared to incur costs, but it is an excellent investment in your own future.

All history students who have completed two years of their degree may apply for ERASMUS. It is not restricted to students who are taking a foreign language with history. Obviously it is an advantage if you already acquired a basic proficiency in the language of your preferred country, for example through Leaving Cert or by taking it in first year in college. But if you are motivated enough to get up to speed through self-study before going abroad you will also be considered. In some countries it is also possible to study some courses through English.

Exchange application opening dates and virtual office hours

The Exchange applications will open on Tuesday 23rd November 2021 and will close on Friday 21st January 2022, midnight for applications managed by UCD Global.

The application form can be found on SISweb, under the Programme Services menu and is called "My Exchange Application".

Student Exchange FAQs is available on the UCD Global website where you can find answers to your questions about the student exchange application.

BA Humanities students should contact Ruth Redahan ((opens in a new window)ruth.redahan@ucd.ie) for information on applying for Erasmus.