- PG Admissions
- Taught MA programmes
- MA modules
- Extended MA
- Jean Hogan MA Memorial Scholarship and MA Memorial Essay Prize
- MA in Philosophy (General Programme)
- MA in Contemporary European Philosophy
- MA in Ethics: Theory and Practice
- MA in Consciousness and Embodiment
- MA in Philosophy and Literature
- MA in Philosophy and Public Affairs
- MSc in Cognitive Science
- Research PhD
- The challenge of the PhD
- PG Funding Opportunities
Jean-Paul Sartre (far left) and Simone de Beauvoir (far right) with friends in a Paris cafe in the 1950s.
UCD ranks in the 51-100 group of philosophy departments in the world. UCD Philosophy hosts an extremely vibrant postgraduate community with about 60 students each year registered across our range of taught and research programmes. There are weekly coffee mornings, reading groups, weekly work-in-progress seminars (which run in conjunction with the Philosophy Department at Trinity College Dublin) and an annual graduate philosophy conference. The School is home to the postgraduate journal Perspectives. and students are encouraged to become part of its editorial team.
In addition to graduate-specific events, our students are encouraged to attend and participate in the School’s numerous events such as conferences and visiting speaker seminars. The School encourages and supports graduate students attending international conferences by providing small travel bursaries and assists in funding applications to the university or national bodies for larger events/projects that students wish to undertake (see the link below for funding opportunities).
Our faculty have a diverse range of research interests with expertise in contemporary philosophy of mind, language, ethics, political philosophy, metaphysics, epistemology, and the history of philosophy across continental and Anglo-American traditions. More importantly we encourage both staff and students to engage in dialogue across more traditional philosophical divides to create a genuinely pluralistic department.
Click here to download the Philosophy Graduate Studies Handbook 2023-2024
Click here to download the UCD Graduate Welcome Booklet 2023
See here for further information about:
- MA Philosophy Timetable 2023/2024
- MA Consciousness & Embodiment Timetable 2023/2024
- MA Philosophy & Public Affairs Timetable 2023-2024
- MA Philosophy & Literature Timetable 2023/2024
- The taught MA programmes
- MA modules
- The Research PhD and MLitt programmes
- Admissions to all postraduate programmes
- Postgraduate Funding opportunities