Explore UCD

UCD Home >

Moving to Ireland

Page updated 17 November 2023

This page contains a range of information on work permits, tax, social security and for new employees or those thinking of coming to work at UCD.

You can find even more information on the (opens in a new window)Citizens Information website* which provides an overview of the Irish system and includes details on Housing, Education, Taxation and Social Security entitlements.

Please note, UCD HR is not responsible for the currency, accuracy, or legality of the content on external sites.

One of the first challenges a new employee will encounter is how to find accommodation in Dublin. Finding accommodation in Dublin or any new city can be a time-consuming process however this can be helped with some planning before arriving in Ireland.

Most employees rent apartments in central parts of the city centre or around the campus in Dublin 4, there are many advantages to living in Dublin – it’s small and easy to navigate and has good transport links to the campus.

The most popular areas to live in are Donnybrook and Dublin 4 (nearest to the campus) and Dublin 1 and Dublin 2 as they are in the centre of town. Areas just outside these two zones such as Smithfield, Rathmines and Christchurch (Dublin 4, 6, 7 and 8) are also very popular, are within walking distance of the city centre and have some fantastic restaurants, parks, bars and shops nearby.

Where to start?

The most popular website is (opens in a new window)www.daft.ie. This site allows you to check for property in a particular ‘zone’ of Dublin, such as Dublin 6. Other websites include (opens in a new window)www.myhome.ie and (opens in a new window)www.property.ie. These websites will also give you an indication of the approximate cost.

Gas and Electricity

Most accommodation will have an already established connection to a supplier of gas and electricity. However, to maximise savings and make sure that you’re getting the best deal, it pays to shop around, and ensure that you’re really getting the most out of your money.

The Switcher.ie website provides an overview of all energy suppliers and allows you to compare prices to ensure you are getting the best deal. For more information, see: (opens in a new window)https://switcher.ie/gas- (opens in a new window)electricity/suppliers/

Mobile and Internet Connections

There are a number of Mobile and Broadband companies in Ireland. For information on cost and availability at your address the best site to use is: (opens in a new window)https://switcher.ie/broadband/guides/broadband- (opens in a new window)types/what-is-mobile-broadband/

Personal Public Service Number (PPS number)

In order to work in Ireland, you require a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number). You can apply for a PPS number (at your local social welfare office or Intreo centre). You will need identification such as your passport or your GNIB certificate of registration and supporting documentation such as household bills.

Details of how to apply and your nearest office can be found in the (opens in a new window)“how to apply” section of the Welfare site.


The Revenue Commissioners (also known as Revenue) are the government body who assess and collect taxes and duties in Ireland. Employees and self-employed people aged under 66 pay social insurance (PRSI) contributions in addition to income tax.

Nearly all income is liable to tax. The first part of your income, up to a certain amount, is taxed at the standard rate of tax. The remainder of your income is taxed at the higher rate of tax. Employees have income tax deducted from their pay under the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system by their employer.

Tax credits consist of various credits and reliefs which you may be able to claim, depending on your circumstances. Every individual can claim a personal tax credit for example, and you can also claim relief for items such as the One Parent Family Credit. Your gross tax is calculated depending on your income. Tax credits are then deducted from the gross tax to give the amount of tax that you have to pay.

When you have registered the details of your new job, Revenue will send your employer a tax credit certificate showing the tax credits that your employer deducts from your tax bill.

Details of all the main tax allowances and reliefs are given on the explanatory leaflet available from your tax office or online from (opens in a new window)www.revenue.ie.

Social Insurance

Most employers and employees (over 16 years of age and under 66) pay social insurance (PRSI) contributions into the national Social Insurance Fund.

The amount of social insurance you pay depends on your earnings and the type of work you do. Your social insurance contributions in Ireland are referred to as PRSI (Pay Related Social Insurance).

Social insurance contributions are divided into different categories, known as classes or rates of contribution. The class and rate of contribution you pay is determined by the nature of your work. For example, a person employed in a supermarket earning less than €38 per week will be insured under Class J. If that person earned over €38, they would probably be insured under Class. Most employees pay Class A PRSI.

You can find out more about the amount you pay at (opens in a new window)www.welfare.ie

Universal Social Charge

The Universal Social Charge (USC) is a tax on your income that is charged on your gross income before any pension or PRSI contributions are deducted. Find out more at the Revenue.ie (opens in a new window)“work (opens in a new window)and pensions” section.

Pension Related Deductions

The Pension-Related Deduction (PRD) is a deduction from the remuneration (pay) of pensionable public servants in accordance with the Financial Emergency Measure in the Public Interest Act 2009. Find out further details at: (opens in a new window)https://www.per.gov.ie/en/faq-documents/

Social Security Entitlements

A wide range of benefits are available to people who have paid social insurance. Your entitlement to these benefits depends on a number of conditions as well as the social insurance contribution requirement. The social insurance qualifying criteria vary, depending on what payment you are applying for. For further information, check out Welfare.ie’s (opens in a new window)guide for EU citizens.


Dublin Bus operate an extensive bus network system which can take you to within walking distance of the majority of places in the city centre, the wider Dublin area, and beyond. More information on rates and routes are available at: (opens in a new window)http://www.dublinbus.ie/. UCD is well served by public transport. Bus stops are located at the rear of the Sports Centre and the main terminus next to the Sutherland Building. Stops are also located just outside campus gates at Roebuck Road, Clonskeagh Road, Fosters Avenue and the N11 (main entrance). Use the TFI Journey Planner and Real Time information to get the best possible routes. These can be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play Store.


The Luas is Dublin’s light-rail system offering a direct link to many major locations outside the wider Dublin city centre region.

There are two Luas lines, Red and Green. Red operates between the 3 Arena and Tallaght, and the Green operates from Broombridge to Cherrywood. For more information, log onto (opens in a new window)https://www.luas.ie/.

Dublin Bikes

Getting around the city centre is easy with Dublin Bikes. The bikes are available to rent from lots of city centre locations and require a payment via card from the machine - you can get a 3-day pass, or an annual ticket. Details are available at (opens in a new window)http://www.dublinbikes.ie/

You must pick up and drop off a bike at the designated stations throughout the city, or risk being charged more!


BleeperBike is Ireland's first stationless bike sharing scheme. Stationless bikes are equipped with a smart lock fixed above the back wheel of the bike, this smart lock controls usage of the bike by communicating with the custom-built app. As the smart lock is permanently on the bike the bikes can be picked up and left anywhere that traditional bike parking is permitted. BleeperBikes do not require custom built docking bays. BleeperBikes are available on campus and the system can be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play Store.

More information on commuting services to UCD can be found in the commuting section of the (opens in a new window)UCD (opens in a new window)Estates website.


Citizens of certain countries need a visa in order to enter the country. An Irish visa is a certificate placed on your passport or travel document to indicate that you are authorised to land in the State subject to any other conditions of landing being fulfilled. This means that you will still be subject to immigration control at the point of entry to the State even if you have a visa. Information on visa’s is available on the (opens in a new window)Citizen’s Information website.

Right to work

If you are from an EU member state or one of the countries of the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to come to work in Ireland. You do not need an employment permit. You are entitled to have your dependants come to live with you. If your non-EEA spouse or civil partner is coming to live in Ireland with you, they must apply for permission to remain under EU Treaty Rights in order to have similar rights to live and work in Ireland.

If you are from another country then generally you need an employment permit.

You do not need an employment permit in order to work legally in Ireland if you are in one of the following categories:

The (opens in a new window)Atypical Working Scheme allows eligible non-EEA nationals to do certain short-term contract work in Ireland

Employment permits

Since 1 October 2014, there are (opens in a new window)9 types of employment permit. They include the (opens in a new window)Critical Skills Employment Permit for highly skilled workers and the (opens in a new window)General Employment Permit which have replaced the work permit and Green Card permit respectively.

The Department of Business Enterprise and Innovation provide information on applying for a work permit at the following link: (opens in a new window)https://dbei.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Workplace-and- (opens in a new window)Skills/Employment-Permits/

UCD HR will support the application process for a work permit.