UCD welcomes applications from Qatari students to our undergraduate programmes. Find out about our courses, entry criteria to UCD undergraduate programmes, how to apply, what the visa requirements are, fees and who to contact for further information.
UCD offers over 70 undergraduate honours degree courses in the following areas of study. Click on the links below in your area of interest to find out more.
View courses by discipline
- Agriculture, Food & Nutrition
- Architecture, Planning and Urban Studies
- Business and Management
- Engineering and Technology
Practical InformationExpand all
You will need one of the following to be considered for entry to Bachelor programmes:
- Successful completion of Thanawiya Amma or Qatari Senior School Certificate or Shahadat Al-Thanawaya Al-Aama PLUS 1 or 2 years at a recognised university PLUS English language competence (IELTS/TOEFL) as detailed on the myUCD website.
- International Examinations from another country's national education system (IB, A Level) will be considered - see the myUCD website for further information.
- Successful completion of Al-Thanawiya Amma in addition to successful completion of a recognised foundation course – please see International Foundation Year Programme.
English Language Requirements
Teaching in Irish Universities is normally through the medium of English, therefore all applicants are required to demonstrate a high level of competence in English language. Applicants must provide evidence of equivalent competence in English language through a recognised English language test, as outlined below.
- Your English language certificate must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree course.
- Other evidence of proficiency in English may be accepted. For further advice please contact UCD Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org) to check if we will accept it. When enquiring, please inform the Admissions Office of: the name, level and date of the qualification; the country in which it was taken; and the scores you obtained. If possible, please send a scanned copy of the certificate and transcripts (if available) showing as much as possible of the information above.
UCD recognise the appropriate minimum score in the following recognised English Language Examinations:
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- An average score of 6.5 over all components and a minimum of 6.0 in each band on the Academic Version.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered by Princeton University
- A minimum score of 600 in the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with Test of Written English at 475 +.
- In the computer based TOEFL, a minimum score of 250 is required.
- A minimum score of 90 is required in the Internet based based TOEFL (iBT).
Some courses require a higher level of English language competency. Please check with the relevant UCD School.
Other Entry Requirements
Please note that some programmes will have different/additional entry requirements (e.g. interview, personal statement).
If you do not meet direct entry requirements for the degree you want, you can apply for a place on the International Foundation Year.
The International Foundation Year is specifically designed for international students who need additional study before starting an undergraduate degree programme at UCD.
You can apply for bachelor programmes by using the online application facility which opens 01 October, prior to entry. Applications are accepted and assessed on a rolling basis until 01 July. However, we recommend that you apply as early as possible as popular programs tend to fill quickly.
Please note that applications are accepted from October of the previous year of study and candidates will usually be notified of the status of their application within 4 weeks of application.
Waiting for your results from an IELTS or TOEFL test?
In certain cases a ‘conditional offer’ may be made while you are waiting on your English language results. You would need to submit a copy of your IELTS or TOEFL test report form, detailing that you have met minimum English language competency in order to meet the conditions of the offer letter.
Do I need a Visa?
Yes – Qatari students require a study visa.
The Embassy of Ireland in the United Arab Emirates is the consulate office in the Middle East that represents Qatar.
Should you have any queries on applying for a visa to study in Ireland, please see the Embassy of Ireland – United Arab Emirates and the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service for further information.
Embassy of Ireland in the UAE
The contact details for the Embassy are:
Embassy of Ireland
1 and 2 Khalifa Al Suwaidi Development
19th Street (off 32nd Street)
Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
Tel: +971 2 4958200
Fax: +971 2 6819233
Submit a query to the Embassy here
Making a visa application
It is necessary for applicants to provide the following information when applying for a visa:
- Ensure passport is valid for 12 months
- Ensure valid passport number
- Date, place and mode of arrival in Ireland
- Provide evidence from UCD that you have been accepted on a full-time course of study
- Sponsorship letter of support / Letter from University indicating that the fees have been paid in full
- Sponsorship letter confirming stipend / Evidence of sufficient funds to cover living and other expenses for the proposed stay
- Recent passport photographs
- Visa application fee (non-refundable)
- Have private health (Please see the UCD International Health Insurance webpage to find information on health insurance providers). Please note that private health insurance is not provided by UCD
- In some cases proof of English, such as an IELTS or TOEFL certificate is required
- Any other documents as requested by INIS or the Irish Embassy through which you are applying
- Make sure you keep copies of all documents submitted
Visa applications can take some months to process, so it is advisable to secure a place early at the University, in order to avoid disappointment. Unfortunately the University has no control or influence over visa issues but will advise where possible.
Schengen visa or UK D visa
Please note that a Schengen visa or UK D visa is not valid for travel to Ireland.
Should you have any queries on applying for a visa to study in Ireland; the Embassy Qatar in the UK will provide you with the necessary information which will help you.
The contact details for the Embassy are:Embassy of the state of Qatar – London
1 South Audley Street, London
W1K 1NB, UK
Tel: +44 020 7493 2200
Fax: +44 020-7493 2661
Tuition fees are based on the course of studies chosen. Full information on fees for specific programmes can be found on the UCD Fees page.