Our Global Community
The UCD experience is internationally and culturally diverse. While distinctly Irish, UCD has a global outlook, with thousands of students and faculty from diverse cultures and backgrounds. UCD has a range of opportunities to study and learn abroad with our many international partner universities, preparing students for work and life in different cultures and environments.
Further InformationExpand all
UCD Dublin campuses are home to over 6,000 international students from 127 countries (2014-15). Many of these are full degree undergraduate or graduate students spread across UCD’s full range of subjects. The prioritisation of internationalisation in UCD has never been more important. International competency, global citizenship and an understanding of the challenges of human development is a central component of every student’s UCD experience.
UCD, through its academic staff, has a long established tradition of excellence in teaching. We provide innovative and high quality programmes adaptive to the current and future learning needs of our students and graduates. The UCD faculty is increasingly international (nearly 25% of UCD staff come from outside Ireland). There is a rich diversity of backgrounds to complement UCD’s diversity of academic disciplines.
We believe that education lasts a lifetime. The friends and contacts you meet in UCD will stay with you throughout your career. Our Overseas Chapters help our alumni reconnect with UCD and their fellow graduates no matter where they are in the world. Many of UCD’s 160,000 alumni have made their mark in all areas of industry, arts, engineering, science, culture, sport and public life, in Ireland and abroad.
Learn Today, Lead Tomorrow
Among our most accomplished alumni and faculty are three former presidents of Ireland: Douglas Hyde; Patrick Hillery; and Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh. Other famous world leaders include:
- V. V. Giri, the fourth President of India studied law in UCD from 1913 to 1916.
- Former Taoisigh (Prime Ministers) of Ireland Charles Haughey, Garret FitzGerald, John Burton and Brian Cowen all attended UCD.
- Deputy Prime Minister of Vietnam, Mr Hoang Trung Hai was at student at the UCD Smurfit School of Business.
Since the foundation of the Irish state in 1922, UCD has produced the most Justices of the Supreme Court of Ireland, the most Chief Justices and the most Attorney Generals of Ireland. Examples of other well-known UCD alumni include writers:
- James Joyce, author of Ulysses
- Flann O’Brien, author of At-Swim-Two-Birds
- Maeve Binchy, author of Circle of Friends
Famous Irish actors include Gabriel Byrne and Brendan Gleeson. Film directors include Oscar winner Neil Jordan and Jim Sheridan.
Noted businessmen include:
- David J. O'Reilly, formerly CEO and Chairman of the Chevron Corporation
- Pearse Lyons, founder and President of Alltech
- Tony O'Reilly, who previously served as the CEO of H.J. Heinz Company and noted for his ownership of Irish businesses
- Peter Sutherland (former EU Commissioner, head of the WTO and chairman of BP)
Others include sportspeople such as Irish rugby star Brian O’Driscoll and former Manchester United and Ireland captain Kevin Moran.