BSc in City Planning & Environmental Policy
Set yourself on a career of city management and environmental policy advice
If you are interested in both the built and natural environment, a degree in City Planning & Environmental Policy offers you a unique opportunity to further your interests. The degree integrates subjects that will deepen and broaden your understanding of environmental, social and economic issues, and set these in a practical policy context.
A degree in City Planning & Environmental Policy provides you with strong analytical skills, as well as the ability to think critically about development and environmental issues. This career orientated degree provides the first steps to pursuing a career as a professional planner, urban designer or environmental policy expert.
Career & Graduate Study Opportunities
The final step towards your career as a planner is to complete a one-year specialist Master’s in Planning in UCD: the Master of Regional & Urban Planning, the MSc in Urban Design and Planning or the MSc in Environmental Policy. This will ensure you gain the necessary professional accreditations, including that of the Irish Planning Institute and the Royal Town Planning Institute.
Graduates find employment as planners in:
- Government & local authorities
- Planning & environmental consultancies
- Local & regional development organisations
- Private companies (marketing/location/real estate/ infrastructure)
- Non-governmental organisations (environmental/heritage/international development)
Key Fact: The degree is accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). In order to gain full recognition by the RTPI, you must complete an accredited one-year specialist Master’s degree in Planning.
UCD is highly attractive to students due to the exposure to world leading researchers and the significant career prospects.
- UCD is ranked in the top 1% of higher education institutes worldwide.
- Degrees with high employability with dedicated careers support.
- Ireland’s largest and most international university.
- Established in 1854 with 160 years of teaching and research excellence.
BSc (Hons) (NFQ Level 8) Full Time - Undergraduate Studies
CAO Code: DN 130
Length of Course: 3 Years (+ 1 Year Master's Programme)
Average Intake: 25
Leaving Certificate: You must obtain a minimum of Grade H5 in two subjects and a minimum of Grade 06/H7 in the remaining four subjects.
Information on Entry Requirements
International Study Opportunities
Erasmus opportunities present an exciting range of choices for study abroad, including:
- Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
- University of Barcelona, Spain
- City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- University of Connecticut, USA
- University of Cagliari, Sardinia
Established in 1854 with 160 years of teaching & research excellence.
UCD is ranked in the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide.
Over 7,000 international students from over 125 countries study at UCD.
Degrees with high employability; dedicated careers support; 1 year stay-back visa (for non-EU students).
Modern parkland campus with 24 hour security, minutes from Dublin city centre.