Many people experience emotional and psychological difficulties at some stage in their lives. Good mental health and wellbeing is a valuable support when faced with the kind of difficulties that many students in higher education encounter, such as financial concerns and managing workload or concurrent deadlines. UCD seeks to ensure that the promotion of mental health and wellbeing is part of the UCD Student Experience.
UCD School of Physics is committed to supporting your experience with us. Listed below are various official designated support contacts for our undergraduate and graduate degrees:
|Head of Teaching and Learning||Tom McCormack|
|Stage 1 Contact||Antonio Martin-Carillo|
|Director of BSc Physics||Emma Sokell|
|Director of BSc PASS||John Quinn|
|Director of BSc TP||Vladimir Lobaskin|
|Head of Postgraduate Studies (taught)||Brian Vohnsen|
|Head of Postgraduate Studies (research)||Ronan McNulty|
|Director of MSc Physics||Brian Vohnsen|
|Director of MSc Space Science||Lorraine Hanlon|
|Director of MSc NanoBio||Dominic Zerulla|
|Director of MSc NanoTech||James Rice|
|Director of MSc Comp. Phys.||Vio Buchete|
|Director of MSc TP||Vladimir Lobaskin|
|Coordinator for Summer Internships||Morgan Fraser|
Other supports within the School of Physics are:
- EDI officer (WiTS, JUNO, Athena SWAN): Brian Vohnsen
- College Career Liaison officer: Deirdre Coffey
- LGBTQ staff contact (unofficial; complete discretion assured): Andrew Mitchell
College of Science Supports
- Science Office: The Science Office is your first point of contact for information, support and advice on any issue.
- Peer Mentors: The Peer Mentor Programme runs across the University in all undergraduate programme areas.
- Chaplaincy: The Chaplaincy offers friendship, support, assistance and encouragement. An open-door policy exists to enable students feel welcome and to seek assistance, especially in times of distress, illness and bereavement. There is particular attention given to students’ special needs at the beginning and end of the academic year. Any of the chaplains can also be contacted via the general office situated at the Newman building G002. Contact Ms. Anne Tynan, Senior Executive Assistant on +353 1 7168372 or via email: email@example.com
UCD Student Services
UCD Student Advisors
The Student Advisers provide support for all students throughout their university experience, particularly during their first year. They work closely with the administrative and academic staff as well as with the chaplains and other support staff. They are here to help you make your time at UCD as fulfilling and enjoyable as possible.
- The College of Science Student Advisors are Dani Findley and Megan Kuster. They are contactable on 01-716 2362 or 01-716 2381. Email for an appointment. You can call on their support in relation to personal, social or practical issues. From simple requests for information to more confidential and serious matters, they will give you the time and space to talk things through.
- Student Counselling Service (http://www.ucd.ie/studentcounselling/)
- Student Advisers (http://www.ucd.ie/studentadvisers/)
- Chaplaincy (http://www.ucd.ie/chaplaincy/)
- Student Health Service (http://www.ucd.ie/stuhealth/)
- Student Access & Lifelong Learning Centre (https://www.ucd.ie/openingworlds/)
- Other Student Services (http://www.ucd.ie/students/services.html)
- UCD's mental health portal
- View details on Graduate Research Student Supports 2019.