Ucard Terms and Conditions
The use of your UCARD is governed by these Conditions. When you use your UCARD you are deemed to have accepted these Conditions. These Conditions are supplemental to and should be read in conjunction with the overall UCARD conditions which may be amended from time to time.
Upon receipt of your ucard, you as a student, will:
Accept responsibility for your UCD student ucard
Ensure that the photograph on your UCD student ucard is an acceptable form of identification as outlined in the guidelines below.
Ensure that your UCD student ucard is retained solely for your own use
Always carry your UCD student ucard while on the UCD campus
Present your UCD student ucard whenever requested to do so by a member of UCD staff. A member of staff is also entitled to retain the card if they feel it necessary.
Be aware that refusal to provide a UCD student ucard when so instructed denies membership of the University community and is a serious disciplinary offence. For further details, see here.
You, as students, will ensure that if you withdraw from the University during the course of an academic year, on either a permanent or temporary basis, you return your UCD student ucard to the UCARD Bureau.
Be aware that if your UCD student card is lost or stolen, you are obliged to inform the University immediately, so that the appropriate precautions can be taken to ensure that your card is not used without your consent. Failure to notify the University places you at risk of serious allegations of collusion in the fraudulent use of your UCD student card.
It is IMPORTANT to note that Value Loaded can always be spent but refunds are not made on the return / expiry of the card. This is mostly relevant for visitors, students in their final year, or staff on short term contracts who are nearing the end of their time in UCD. Cards will remain active for 12 months after the last transaction to maximise the opportunity for a UCARD holder to spend their balance at which stage the balance will return to €0.00.
A digital photo will be taken when you go to collect your card. You must ensure, however, that the photograph on your UCD student card meets the following requirements:
Your photograph should show a full front view of you as you would normally appear
Your expression should be neutral with both eyes open and mouth closed
You should not have any hair covering your eyes. Contrived expressions such as raised eyebrows, squinting or frowning are not acceptable
Sunglasses and hats are not acceptable. Only head coverings worn for religious reasons are permitted
In these terms and conditions:
My UCARD Portal means the transactional log kept by us in your name on which Transactions can be carried out.
UCARD Conditions means the terms and conditions which govern the operation of your UCARD purse and portal.
Agreement means the agreement concluded between us and you for the activation of your UCARD Purse and the issue of a UCARD and includes the Purse Conditions, these Conditions, and all current and future fees and charges booklets and schedules and all other documents that are incorporated into these Conditions or otherwise become part of our agreement with you.
Authorised User means the cardholder as no other user can be authorised to use your card
Business Day means a day (other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday) on which we are generally open for business in UCD and, where in relation to execution timeframes in respect of a payment to an purse with another bank, a day on which the payee's bank is also open for business.
UCARD means any UCARD issued to you for the purpose of effecting Transactions on the Purse pursuant to the terms of the Agreement and incorporates all elements of that UCARD, including, without limitation, the Chip.
UCARD Application means any form of application or request for a UCARD including inferred application by appointment terms and conditions or registration with the University or initial use of UCARD
UCARD Carrier means the separate confidential mailing slip or cover sent to you with a UCARD, containing instructions regarding its authentication and security.
UCARD holder means only the person in whose name the Purse is maintained and does not include Authorised Users.
UCARD holder not Present Transaction means a Transaction that is carried out where you are not present at the location of the machine used to effect the Transaction; these include transactions carried out by post, phone, internet, fax or other electronic means as may be authorised from time to time.
Guest / Visitor Machine means a machine which performs vending and revalue functions.
Chip means an integrated circuit embedded in a UCARD.
Conditions means these terms and conditions as amended, extended, supplemented or replaced from time to time.
Merchant means any business or individual who accepts payment made with a UCARD.
Secure System means a system approved by us to enable the secure use of your UCARD over the internet.
Scheme means a third party payment system which manages and controls the processing of transactions through their rules.
Statement means a paper or electronic statement issued by us, in respect of the Purse or accessed by the UCARD holder through a secure portal.
Transaction means a transaction in which a UCARD is used by you to revalue your purse, make payments, and access such other facilities or enhancements as may be attached or added to the UCARD by us from time to time and includes all other debits and credits made to your Purse pursuant to the Agreement.
" you " and "your" refers to the UCARD holder and, unless the context otherwise requires, any Authorised User.
Any references to "we"; "us"; and "our" or "UCARD" means UCARD Bureau, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4 and includes our successors and assigns.
In these Conditions where the context so allows, reference to any gender includes all genders and the singular includes the plural and vice versa.
Looking after your UCARD
1) The UCARD Purse is a multifunctional smartcard issued to you as part of your relationship with the University. The UCARD has a number of “purse” facilities for you including revaluing, making payments, and such other facilities or enhancements as may be attached or added to the UCARD by us from time to time. The UCARD must be used in accordance with these Conditions. Each UCARD is and remains our property and may be cancelled, suspended, recalled or retained by us in accordance with the provisions of the Agreement.
2) There is a variety of means by which you can authorise such Transactions, these include:
- authorisation by means of your UCARD used for point of sale Transactions or Transactions using a Cash Machine;
- authorisation by means of your UCARD number for Transactions by mail, telephone, internet or by use of a Secure System; and
3) You must:
- keep your UCARD secure;
- keep access to your My UCARD portal secure
4) You must not:
- let anybody else use your UCARD
- let anybody else know your My UCARD portal login details
- write, record or disclose in any other manner your portal login allocated to you.
5) A UCARD must not be used:
- if the Agreement is ended;
- after a UCARD has expired or been reported lost, copied or stolen or has been cancelled or hotlisted;
- for any illegal purchase or purpose whatsoever.
Loss or misuse of a UCARD
6) You will take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the UCARD. If your UCARD is lost, copied, mislaid, stolen, used, or likely to be used, for a fraudulent or improper purpose, you must immediately “hotlist” your UCARD and contact us immediately. Our contact details are set out in the "Contacting us" section of these Conditions. We may request that you confirm the same in writing to us but without affecting the validity of any action taken by us in response to your telephone call.
7) Written notification of loss or theft of a UCARD will be accepted by us via email.
8) By reporting a UCARD as lost, copied, mislaid or stolen or as being used, or likely to be used, for a fraudulent or improper purpose, you will be deemed to have thereby authorised us to cancel that UCARD. It must not be used again if a subsequent card is issued as a replacement. If found, it must be cut in two (through the magnetic strip and Chip) for security reasons and returned to your local UCARD Bureau immediately.
9) Your liability will be limited to the overall limit of your UCARD for any losses incurred in respect of unauthorised payment transaction arising from the use of a lost or stolen UCARD or from a failure to keep personalised security features safe. However, you will be liable for all unauthorised transactions if:
- you intentionally, fraudulently or with gross negligence failed to adhere to the safekeeping and/or disclosure requirements of your UCARD, PIN or other security device or procedure; or
- any Transactions were effected as a result of the breach of Condition 4; or
- any UCARD is used by any other person outside the terms of this Agreement and who has possession of it with your consent
10) In the event of notification by you in accordance with Condition 11 you will co-operate with us and the relevant Garda authority in any investigation and give us and the Gardai all information relating to such loss, theft or disclosure and all reasonable assistance to lead to the recovery of the UCARD. You authorise us to inform any appropriate third party of the loss, mislaying, theft or possible misuse of the UCARD and to give them such other information as may be required.
11) If we suspect that a UCARD is being used improperly or fraudulently or in breach of this Agreement we may decline to authorise any further transactions on the Purse until we have contacted you. We will endeavour to contact you before we take this decision but this may not be possible. You hereby agree and authorise us to take such actions as we deem necessary including suspending the UCARD in such circumstances. You agree that any contact by us is for the purposes of combating wrongdoing and is not connected to this Agreement.
12) Transactions that result in a debit on your Purse will usually be debited immediately or within two Business Days following receipt by us of the transaction record.
13) Statements will be made available to you on your Purse transactions through your My Ucard portal in accordance with the Purse Conditions. Each Statement will contain information on all payments and revaluations on your Purse for the period covered by the transaction listing.
14) The UCARD must not be used to create a negative balance on the general balance of the Purse.
Queries and Disputes
15) You must notify us without undue delay on becoming aware of any unauthorised or incorrectly executed Transaction on your Purse. You should carefully examine all Statements and any other Purse information received by you or accessed by you online and immediately report any disputed transactions, errors or omissions to us. We recommend that you review your Purse details online on a regular basis. In the event that you have a query concerning a Transaction on your Purse please contact us immediately. Our contact details are set out in the 'Contacting Us' section of these Conditions. If there has been undue delay on your part in contacting us we may not be able to compensate you for any loss you may have suffered. For further details in relation to liability for unauthorised, non-executed or incorrectly executed transactions see the Purse Conditions.
CASH MACHINE LODGEMENTS
16) Where so enabled your UCARD may be used to facilitate Guest / Visitor Machine revaluations. For further details on this see the Purse Conditions.
Payment for goods or services
17) Use of your UCARD is subject to transaction and daily limits as set by us. The UCARD holder will be liable to pay all sums that are charged to the Purse in respect of or resulting from all Transactions including where such Transactions are effected by telephone, mail order, internet, PIN, signature or in breach of these Conditions. You should therefore check the amount of every Transaction before you authorise it.
18) You accept that electronic communications via the internet or SMS-based telecommunications media may not be secure and may be intercepted by unauthorised persons or delivered incorrectly. Any such communications shall be at your risk.
19) Once authorised a Transaction cannot be subsequently revoked (whether or not a voucher is signed or a PIN number verified) as we guarantee payment.
20) When a Transaction is authorised by the use of a Secure System the use of the Secure System will be regarded as conclusive evidence that the Transaction was authorised by you. Use of any Secure System by you is subject to the terms and conditions of the Secure System.
21) The entries relating to a Transaction recorded in your Purse are conclusive evidence that the Transaction occurred as so recorded.
Fees and Charges
22) For fees and charges that may apply to the use of the UCARD details will be published on our website or made available from the UCARD Bureau on request. Such fees and charges will be debited directly by us to the Purse.
23) We may from time to time alter such fees and charges and introduce new fees and charges. Such a variation will be notified to you in accordance with Conditions 47 and 48.
Issue of new UCARDs
24) New UCARDs may be issued by us to you from time to time without the need for further application. We can refuse to issue a new UCARD if:-
- the UCARD holder has requested in writing, not less than 30 days before a planned reissue
- we have decided (in accordance with Condition 39) not to issue a renewal or replacement UCARD.
25) The use of the purse and therefore the terms of the agreement shall continue until ended by us. Persons required to have a UCARD by virtue of relationship with the University cannot end the agreement except on termination of that relationship.
- you become bankrupt or enter into a voluntary arrangement with your creditors;
- you are no longer, in our opinion, able to manage your financial affairs;
- you die;
- it becomes unlawful for you to continue to have a UCARD;
- any representation, warranty or statement made by you to us is or becomes, in our opinion, untrue in any material respect; or
- you commit any serious or repeated breach of these Conditions; or
- you are in breach of any other agreement with the University; or
- we must do so to comply with any law; or
- you use your Purse or your UCARD for any unlawful or other inappropriate purpose; or
- for any reason the Agreement becomes unenforceable or void,
we may immediately suspend any UCARD, end the Agreement, cancel any UCARD and/or refuse to issue, renew or replace any UCARD by giving written notice to you whereupon you must cut all UCARDs in two (through the signature box, magnetic strip and Chip) and return them to us.
We may also terminate the Agreement by giving you at least two months' prior notice in writing.
27) If a Merchant initiates a refund we will only credit the Purse with the amount due upon receipt and processing of the refund amount by us from the Merchant.
28) We shall neither be in breach of our obligations under the Agreement nor liable for any loss, damage or other liability suffered by you or any other person if we delay or fail to perform our duties and obligations to you because of circumstances beyond our reasonable control (including, but not limited to, acts of God, acts of terrorism, fire, acts of Government, war, civil commotion, insurrection, embargo, inability to communicate with third parties, failure of any computer or telecommunications system, or failure of any payment, settlement or clearance system, disruption in any energy or other supplies, labour disputes or the acts or omissions of our agents or any other third party).
29) The documents and records kept by us or on our behalf, whether on paper, microfilm, by electronic recording or otherwise, will, in the absence of manifest error, constitute conclusive evidence of any facts or events relied upon by us in connection with any matter or dealing in relation to the Purse.
30) We are not obliged to grant or continue any additional facility or benefit made available to you which is not specified in the Agreement. Accordingly, any such facility or benefit may be varied or withdrawn by us without notice.
31) We may record or monitor phone calls between you and us so that we can check instructions and make sure that we are meeting our service standards and to ensure the security of our business, and that of our customers and staff.
Variation of the Agreement
32) These Conditions shall continue to apply to your Purse unless and until altered by us in accordance with Conditions 47 to 48.
33) We may alter these Conditions from time to time. Alterations will normally be caused by changes in the cost of providing the service, changes in, or our requirement to conform with, expected or actual changes in legal or other requirements affecting us, promotional reasons, any system or product development or to enable us to conduct our business in a prudent or competitive manner or other good reasons. We may also change these Conditions to make them clearer or more favourable to you or to rectify any errors identified after we have given these Conditions to you.
34) Unless we are permitted by law to give you shorter notice, we will notify you at least two weeks in advance of any alteration to these Conditions.
35) We may notify you of any alteration to these Conditions by providing you with notice of any alteration, by notice displayed prominently at our branches, by notice in writing or through our website or by means of another durable medium or by any other means required or permitted by law, with details of the alteration or the altered Conditions.
36) If you use the UCARD you will be presumed to have agreed to the changes.
37) If we do not enforce any condition of this Agreement, or we delay in enforcing it, this will not prevent us from enforcing the condition at a later date and will not constitute a waiver of that condition.
No liability for refusal or for goods or services
38) We shall not be liable for any loss arising as a result of the refusal or delayed acceptance of any UCARD by a Merchant or other third party, or for any loss or damage you may suffer as a result of the way in which any such refusal or delay is communicated to you or is otherwise published. For the avoidance of doubt this refusal extends to a refusal to offer any UCARD related service.
39) Save to the extent that we are unable under applicable law to disclaim such liability, we are not responsible for the delivery or condition of any goods and/or services paid for by a UCARD. We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered in connection with any goods and/or services paid for by a UCARD.
40) If at any time any provision of the Agreement is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable in any jurisdiction in any respect, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions thereof shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.
Governing Law & Jurisdiction
41) The Agreement is governed by the laws of Ireland and for our benefit you submit to the Irish Courts with respect to any dispute out of or in connection with the Agreement.
42) The Agreement will be treated as having been executed at University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4
43) UCD is committed to protecting the privacy of our students, alumni and all stakeholders and University policies on privacy and data protection apply to the UCARD Bureau. Where applicable the University will utilise the necessary personal information already provided (whether by way of student registration, staff appointment, or registration processes associated with the issuing of a Campus UCARD). Personal data will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003.
By using the UCARD and its online portal you agree to and acknowledge that the University / UCARD Bureau may use the personal data provided in line with the purpose for which it is provided, including the following purposes as is necessary:
· To issue a UCARD
· For processing your transactions and / or managing your UCARD account
· For the performance of the Terms and Conditions
· To log card / web based usage data
· To provide customer support and the provision of service provider information
- To issue service notices and marketing material as required. Any marketing material from a trusted third party will be approved and disseminated by the Bureau or its agent. At no time will personal information provided by you be disclosed to any other non University third parties (other than those set out in the terms and conditions) unless in accordance with the law. Your personal data may be anonymised and used for statistical purposes.
The Bureau may disclose personal data to its agents, contractors and Service Providers to the extent reasonably required for the purposes described above. In these circumstances the Bureau will ensure that adequate contractual and technical safeguards are in place to toprotect personal data and that such third parties only use such personal data in accordance with the Bureaus instructions, this data protection policy, and all applicable laws.
UCARD customers have the right to access and rectify their personal data online at any time. This is done through the Universities “My Profile” tab.
The University / UCARD Bureau will not hold your personal data for longer than necessary. In certain circumstances a customer may request the Bureau to delete personal data held. To exercise this right the customer will be expected to identify a related contravention of data protection law in the manner in which the University / UCARD Bureau processes the data concerned. The Bureau will endeavour to comply with such requests, subject to the customer agreeing to waive any right to dispute previous transactions to which the data deleted may relate.
Use of the UCARD with any service provider will also be authorising the University / UCARD Bureau to share the relevant personal information with other service providers to use for the same purposes.
In certain circumstances as set out in the Data Protection Act 1988 and 2003 the University / UCARD Bureau may also share UCARD personal information with the Gardai and other law enforcement agencies for the purposes of the prevention or detection of crime.
If at any time we decide to use the personal data in a manner significantly different from that stated in these data protection terms and conditions and the UCARD Privacy statement, or otherwise disclosed to you at the time it was collected, we will notify you.
Visit www.dataprotection.ie for further information
Copy Agreement and Larger Version
44) A copy of the Agreement which covers this service, and/or a copy of these Conditions in a larger print can be obtained by contacting us. Our details are set out in the "Contacting Us" section of these Conditions.
45) These Conditions and all information and communication with you will be in English.
What to do if you have a complaint
46) In the event that you wish to make a complaint you may do so by writing to our UCARD Bureau.
Further details of our complaints procedures may be obtained by contacting us. Contact details are set out below.
47) At the date of issue of these Conditions our contact details are as set out below. These may change from time to time and up to date details can be found on www.ucd.ie/ucard or by contacting your local UCARD Bureau.
For lost, stolen or misused UCARDs:
(a) hotlist your card on your My Ucard portal
(b) email us on email@example.com
48) Subject to applicable law we may contact you by post, phone, online or email or in person.