Internships are also a great way to try something out before making a longer-term commitment to a specific career area; as well as an opportunity to develop your network, which can prove invaluable when job-hunting.
Here are our top tips for finding a great internship:
- Start early – competition can be fierce for Summer internships so you should start looking early in semester 1.
- See if your course has an internship programme. To find out more, click here.
- Do your research – use all of the resources available to you to identify major employers in your area of interest. You have nothing to lose by making an application, so don’t be afraid to think big.
- If you are a doctoral research students within an SFI CRT, make sure you check with your Centre Manager for Internships/placement opportunities.
- Be persistent – you may need to submit many applications before you are successful.
- Use your network – do you have any contacts who might be able to help you in your search? Can you find out if there are any current or former students who work or have worked in some of your target companies?
- Watch our “5 minutes on Internships” video below!