- SCBE EDI Newsletter - Inclusion
- NUI Honorary Conferring of Mohamad Al-Rubeai
- MacElroy Energy Research Bursary 2022
- SCBE EDI Newsletter - Diversity
- Prof Niall English receives ERC Advanced Grant to optimise nanobubble technology for diverse end applications
- SCBE Seminar Day
- SCBE Christmas Party
- Best oral presentation at the special edition of Euromembrane2022
- SCBE EDI Newsletter - Equality
- Unprecedented success for UCD in ERC Advanced Grant 2021 competition
- SCBE EDI Newsletter - Unconscious Bias
- UCD Engineers Among NovaUCD’s 2022 Innovation Awardees
- The first annual SCBE Seminar Day
- Serendipity Swings Doors of Opportunity Open Wide for Nanobubble Generator Developers
- Gas Hydrates – a Potential New Fuel Source or a Cause of Mass Extinctions
- Springer publishes book to mark retirement of Emeritus Professor Mohamed Al-Rubeai
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
Biochemical Engineering alumnus set to chair new HSE oversight Board
Thursday, 30 November, 2023
- Sir Ciarán Devane appointed the new Chairperson of the HSE Board.
- Biochemical Engineering alumnus is the former chief executive of charity Macmillan Cancer Support.
- New HSE Board will act as the governing body of the Irish health service.
University College Dublin graduate and former charity chief Sir Ciarán Devane has been appointed the new Chairperson of the HSE Board.
The Biochemical Engineering alumnus was selected for the role following a public appointments service campaign to identify potential candidates.
Sir Ciarán is the former chief executive of charity Macmillan Cancer Support, and currently heads up the British Council – the UK’s international outreach programme for cultural relations and educational opportunities.
He was knighted in 2015 for his charity work with cancer patients.
The Dublin native will be the first chairman of a HSE Board since the committee was abolished under former Health Minister James Reilly in 2012.
Today I announced my intention to appoint Ciaran Devane as Chair-designate of new HSE Board aimed at improving oversight & governance in health service. This is a key Slaintecare recommendation. Legislation to go to Dáil this session. Ciaran has an impressive array of experience https://t.co/PtPQA6KrdX— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) September 18, 2018
The new HSE Board will act as the governing body of the Irish health service, and is tasked with the authority to perform the HSE’s functions.
Under new legislation, the nine-person panel will be accountable to the Minister of Health, while the chief executive officer of the HSE will answer to the Board.
Earlier this year, UCD conferred an honorary degree on Sir Ciarán who graduated from the university in 1984.
Reading the citation, Professor Eoin Casey, UCD School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, said during his tenure at Macmillan Sir Ciarán had transformed the organisation – helping it to support millions of cancer sufferers in the UK.
His appointment comes as the new HSE board is expected to prioritise the development of a plan for building public trust and confidence in the health service, as well as plans for an effective accountability system within the HSE.
By: David Kearns, Digital Journalist / Media Officer, UCD University Relations